Fleck 5600 SE upgrade to 5600SXT

Users who are viewing this thread

ZiggyGT

Reaction score
I have a Fleck 5600SE (LED model) it is not properly rinsing. Current timing is 1) backwash for 9min 2) Brine/rinse for 59min 3) Rapid rinse water flows for 1min then timer counts down 7min but no water flows to drain 4) Brine refill for 9min.

I have replaced the brine and other valve because unit was constantly running water down the drain after accidentally being unplugged for a long time. I had a service call and the conclusion was to buy and entire unit for $1800. The control was bonkers (see above behavior). I plan to be in the house two more years. I want to change the control unit out for a 5600SXT (LCD). The 5600SXT units available to me do not seem to have the turbine or the quick disconnect for my two knob plastic bypass. I hope I can use the ones I have. My unit is 24 years old. I plan to replace the resin. Can I expect any issues? Right now i get super salty water and the facet blows air occasionally when the salt occasionally appears radomly. I have 3 cases of bottled water to keep some domestic tranquility but I need good advice on what to do. $300 for a new valve and $100 of resin instead of the big bill. What is your advice?

Did I screw up the valve replacement? Tomorrow I plan to uninstall them and re-install. I have already cleaned a gallon of mud out of the brine tank and float.

Reach4

Reaction score
You will want valves that have the word "demand" in the description. Those will have the turbine.

If DIY, you can have a new system shipped to you for install for much less than the number you listed. New valve. New resin. If city water, you need 10% crosslinked resin. I would not call the connection system for the bypass on a 5600 to be quick disconnect, but it is pretty quick. Two brackets on the input of the bypass, and two on the output.

Also consider the 5800SXT valve.

ZiggyGT

Reaction score
You will want valves that have the word "demand" in the description. Those will have the turbine.

If DIY, you can have a new system shipped to you for install for much less than the number you listed. New valve. New resin. If city water, you need 10% crosslinked resin. I would not call the connection system for the bypass on a 5600 to be quick disconnect, but it is pretty quick. Two brackets on the input of the bypass, and two on the output.

Also consider the 5800SXT valve.
Thanks for the help. Demand is the key word over Metered,
The turbine seems to be an add on. do all the 5600sxt meters have the 3pin connection for the meter? see turbine photo with 3 conductor cable and the circuit board photo.

My turbine is still OK. I was hoping to use one of the (Metered/timed units) and reuse my turbine? the timed 5600sxt in this photo on bottom left does not show a meter just a screw on manifold. My current 5600SE has the turbine in that position with the o-ring quick disconnect to the two knob plastic bypass and to the meter
meter.jpg
5600sxt control board.jpg
turbine.jpg
. Attached is the control board from an 5600sxt meter the right hand connector is where the turbine attaches. Is there more to adding a demand based system than the turbine and programming the meter?

ZiggyGT

Reaction score
One more question. I want to replace my resin as it is 24 years old and there was a lot of "mud" in my brine tank. I have that all cleaned out now. My unit is labeled H4/5600/M/SE 9.7GPM 11PSI. How do I know how much resin to buy. I am on city water but it is pretty hard. Is there a special resin I should get?

Update: I found that the H4 translates to 1.5 cubic ft of resin. 49,500grain/High 37,500/medium

Last edited:

ZiggyGT

Reaction score
Thanks for the help. Demand is the key word over Metered,
The turbine seems to be an add on. do all the 5600sxt meters have the 3pin connection for the meter? see turbine photo with 3 conductor cable and the circuit board photo.

My turbine is still OK. I was hoping to use one of the (Metered/timed units) and reuse my turbine? the timed 5600sxt in this photo on bottom left does not show a meter just a screw on manifold. My current 5600SE has the turbine in that position with the o-ring quick disconnect to the two knob plastic bypass and to the meterView attachment 91070View attachment 91071View attachment 91072. Attached is the control board from an 5600sxt meter the right hand connector is where the turbine attaches. Is there more to adding a demand based system than the turbine and programming the meter?
Just got an update from the supplier, they claim that I can upgrade the time metered unit with the addition of a turbine and that my old turbine should work OK. Unit is on the way. my fingers are crossed.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks