Fleck 5600 piston removed? Suggestions

Users who are viewing this thread

Cat2010

Reaction score
I have what I think is a fleck 5600. Timer is not advancing, so I ordered a new motor, to arrive late next week. However, when opening it up, I have noticed that there is no piston installed on the unit. The hole is there, but sealed from the inside. The unit has worked fine and has been serviced by a company in the past. I'm curious why the piston has been deleted from the system and if it should be reinstalled, should the motor fix not do the trick.

Screen Shot 2022-04-29 at 7.40.07 AM.png

Bannerman

Reaction score
I clearly see the piston rod connected to the cam. The opposite end of the piston rod is connected to the piston located within the valve.

What I do not see is a brine valve, which leads me to conclude this control valve is for a back washing water filter system, not a water softener.

FYI, it is likely the timer is not running because the piston has become jammed due to degradation of the internal seals which surround the piston. The timer motor on the 5600 also drives the gear mechanism so if the mechanical parts become siezed, then the timer motor will also stop spinning. Rebuilding the valve by installing a new seal and spacer kit will likely restore operation. If the piston's Teflon coating is damaged, then the piston will also need to be replaced.

Last edited:

Cat2010

Reaction score
I clearly see the piston rod connected to the cam. The opposite end of the piston rod is connected to the piston located within the valve.

What I do not see is a brine valve, which leads me to conclude this control valve is for a back washing water filter system, not a water softener.

FYI, it is likely the timer is not running because the piston has become jammed due to degradation of the internal seals which surround the piston. The timer motor on the 5600 also drives the gear mechanism so if the mechanical parts become siezed, then the timer motor will also stop spinning. Rebuilding the valve by installing a new seal and spacer kit will likely restore operation. If the piston's Teflon coating is damaged, then the piston will also need to be replaced.

Thanks so much. That makes a lot of sense. The timer is on the iron tank; we have a brine tank. Based on what you've described, I'm assuming that is why a brine valve is not needed. There is some water scale and what looks like water leaking on the piston rod, so the seals make sense. Would you recommend that I simply replace the seals, spacers and the piston at the same time?

Reach4

Reaction score
A pro would recommend replacing. I would take it apart, clean, lube the seals and piston with suitable silicone grease such as Dow No. 7 release compound, or Chemplex 862 are lower viscosity and are recommended for sliding stuff, as well as also being good for static seals.. Clean the injector and injector screen.

Make sure things operate. Could be motor failure, and could be power supply failure too.

Cat2010

Reaction score
A pro would recommend replacing. I would take it apart, clean, lube the seals and piston with suitable silicone grease such as Dow No. 7 release compound, or Chemplex 862 are lower viscosity and are recommended for sliding stuff, as well as also being good for static seals.. Clean the injector and injector screen.

Make sure things operate. Could be motor failure, and could be power supply failure too.
Perfect, I'll try that before ordering anything. Thanks for the amazing advice!

Cat2010

Reaction score

I took it apart and it was almost totally plugged. Cleaned out parts, shop vacuumed inside to ensure no debris(water also vacuumed out), greased and reassembled. The knob rotates easily, you can hear water rushing at the different settings. However, I set it to regen and nothing happened. Should I set to in Service, see if the time moves over the night, or should I disassemble and recheck the seals?

Cat2010

Reaction score
What voltage is the motor?
120 V, motor is warm to the touch, timer is advancing but still losing time. I had it set to regen, has advanced but not to the next cycle setting. Set regen 2 hrs ago.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks