Fleck 5600 not measuring water used

Users who are viewing this thread

JP1

Reaction score
My 8-yr-old Fleck 5600 SXT has stopped measuring water used. Assuming the turbine flowmeter is at fault (again) I unplugged the cable from the flowmeter and tested it with a magnet. The flow indicator began flashing, which I take to indicate the cable is good, HOWEVER, even after over 100 passes with the magnet, the gallons-remaining display did not change.

I'm inclined to go ahead and replace the turbine with a paddlewheel flowmeter and appropriate cable however I'm having a hard time understanding why I couldn't manually cause the gallons remaining to decrease and would like to get that sorted before going forward. Anybody have any ideas?

Reach4

Reaction score
The flow indicator began flashing, which I take to indicate the cable is good, HOWEVER, even after over 100 passes with the magnet, the gallons-remaining display did not change.
There is also a water-drop-shaped flow icon on the right side of the display. That should give a much quicker reaction to the magnet, assuming the magnet is good.

If no indication, the next thing to try would be a 19121-01 .........Meter Cable Assy

If that doesn't do it, I think you would be looking at a new circuit board.

JP1

Reaction score
There is also a water-drop-shaped flow icon on the right side of the display. That should give a much quicker reaction to the magnet, assuming the magnet is good.

If no indication, the next thing to try would be a 19121-01 .........Meter Cable Assy

If that doesn't do it, I think you would be looking at a new circuit board.

Thanks for the quick reply. The flow icon you refer to is what I called a flow indicator in my original post. I CAN activate it with a magnet. But can't get the displayed gallon value to decrement.

Reach4

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply. The flow icon you refer to is what I called a flow indicator in my original post. I CAN activate it with a magnet. But can't get the displayed gallon value to decrement.
For the 5600 and 5800, the turbine pulses per gallon is 133. So you should be close.

Fairly recently Ditttohead posted a link to a video on opening up that turbine to repair it, but officially that turbine is not repairable. The person he was helping reported success.

Last edited:

JP1

Reaction score
133. Ha! I thought it was 80. I opened up the flowmeter and blew out whatever junk was jamming the turbine a couple of years ago. Now it's either stuck again or broken. I'm going to go ahead and replace it with a more dependable paddlewheel unit. Hopefully, this will extend the MTBF.

Thanks for sharing your expertise.

Water Pro

In the Trades
Reaction score
133. Ha! I thought it was 80. I opened up the flowmeter and blew out whatever junk was jamming the turbine a couple of years ago. Now it's either stuck again or broken. I'm going to go ahead and replace it with a more dependable paddlewheel unit. Hopefully, this will extend the MTBF.

Thanks for sharing your expertise.
try soaking the turbine in iron out. if it's not completely clean during reassembly, the remaining staining will quickly accumulate more deposits. It may also be grit, do you have a cartridge sediment filter before the unit?

JP1

Reaction score
I've got a 5-micron filter on the supply line so grit shouldn't be a problem. Very little iron in our city water -- mostly calcium and magnesium -- so maybe a vinegar bath will restore the turbine to full function. I'm still gonna swap it for a paddlewheel in the expectation that this will reduce maintenance but having a working turbine to fall back on will be good.

Water Pro

In the Trades
Reaction score
I've got a 5-micron filter on the supply line so grit shouldn't be a problem. Very little iron in our city water -- mostly calcium and magnesium -- so maybe a vinegar bath will restore the turbine to full function. I'm still gonna swap it for a paddlewheel in the expectation that this will reduce maintenance but having a working turbine to fall back on will be good.
The root of problem may exist in your current settings. the flow meter is attached to the outlet so, in theory, the flow meter should never be exposed to hard water. I suggest either shortening the interval between regeneration, or upping the salt dosage. If you post your current raw hardness and tell us how many people are in the home, someone here can advise you on settings. do you have any iron staining in the backs of your toilets?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks