Fleck 5600 not happy during settling rinse

Users who are viewing this thread

Reach4

Reaction score
That video nicely shows the big 2.2 Hz oscillation on your Economizer softener. I don't know the cure, but you sure showed the not-subtle symptom.

Kooper59

Reaction score
I downloaded a service manual for the valve yesterday and decided to give taking it apart a shot. I fix diagnostic imaging equipment for a living so I figured this wouldn't be too far out of my depth.

I removed the brine valve and main piston / seals/ spacers and checked that everything looked sound. I put it back together and tested the check valve in the brine tank. I then ran a regen and everything seems to be working properly now.

The problem started recently when I had the resin replaced. I expect the service man put new valve parts in when he was here and something didn't seat quite right. When I called him back the day after he did the service he said he thought it was because the brine tank didn't have enough water in it. From my research yesterday I discovered that the brine valve is closed during the settling rinse. Even if it wasn't the check valve would keep air from being drawn into the system.

At any rate I think I'm going to start servicing the unit myself if I can find a place to buy the resin. It's fairly straightforward and simple and it will save me quite a bit of money.

Thanks for your responses.

Reach4

Reaction score
At any rate I think I'm going to start servicing the unit myself if I can find a place to buy the resin. It's fairly straightforward and simple and it will save me quite a bit of money.
Resin should last maybe 10 years or so with chlorinated water, depending on chlorine or chloramine levels, and much longer with unchlorinated well water.

For chlorinated water, it is important to use 10% crosslinked resin.

When putting rubber seals in place, you want to lube them with a very light coat of silicone release compound or silicone grease. The manual says "silicone lubricant". Molykote 111 is the heavier grease. Dow Corning 7 is Release Compound. A 5.3 ounce tube of either lasts a long time. While it is not harmful, wearing nitrile gloves when applying keeps the hands cleaner.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Air wont be drawn in during the rapid rinse. It can be drawn in during the brine/slow rinse cycle. if the air check fails in the brine tank air will be drawn into the mineral tank during this cycle. It is fairly common and your video shows the most common symptom. If you had a solid drain line it would have been less apparent but airy water in the house is another possible indicator.

Brine tanks can get nasty. Let the tank run low on salt, clean it out, sanitize it and refill with salt and a few gallons of water. A small piece of string from the bag, wood from the pallet etc. can all cause the check valve to fail or simple wear and tear.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks