Fleck 5600 configuration

Users who are viewing this thread

Kotkoj

Reaction score
I have a softener I purchased used I want to set up in my rental. It came with a fleck 5600 econominder head. The head was configured for the media tank but before I install it I want to see if its right. The media tank is 15" in diameter by 50" high. I'd like to confirm that holds 3 cubic feet of resin like the seller told me but that tank size seems odd and I cant find it anywhere. I'd also like to know which brine line flow control and drain line flow control it should be fitted with. I haven't tore it apart to see what it has yet but I will be soon. Maybe I'll have a reply by then we'll see. I also believe it should be the yellow injector. I'd like to confirm that. Are those the only things that are changed to size up a media tank? I know the salt setting only goes to 18 which is definitely low for this tank I think that usually goes with a .25 blfc the .5 blfc usually goes to 32 I believe. From what i have gathered is if a .5 blfc was inserted but the salt scale wasn't changed it will work but you double salt setting. It was set at 9 which would be equal to 18 if that's correct might be right because 6lbs of salt/cubic ft *3 would be 18. 6 lbs/cubic foot is the salt friendly setting I hear. I've only seen the 2 different salt gauges but I believe there is a 1.00 blfc as well so I'm wondering if that should use the same salt indicator as the .5 or is there another scale I'm unaware of? I hope these questions make sense but I guess we'll see.

Reach4

Reaction score
Could it be a 16 x 52? You can measure the circumference and divide by pi.

I have not looked that aspect up, but 18. 6 lbs/cubic foot is not salt friendly. 18.6 lbs per 3 cuft would be salt friendly.

Was this softener used with city water or well water?

Kotkoj

Reaction score
Could it be a 16 x 52? You can measure the circumference and divide by pi.

I have not looked that aspect up, but 18. 6 lbs/cubic foot is not salt friendly. 18.6 lbs per 3 cuft would be salt friendly.

Was this softener used with city water or well water?
When I took circumference and divided by pi I got 14.9 inches. That wasn't supposed to be 18.6. I was saying 18 was the salt friendly setting. 6lbs/cubic foot. It was on well water. The resin looks good but that probably doesn't mean much.

Reach4

Reaction score
Ah, yes. That space makes a big difference. Your analysis sounds credible to me. I think you found the Econominder service manual, and you know about the white dot.

Yellow looks good to me too. I would clean the injector screen and maybe the nozzle. The injector has two parts -- nozzle and throat.

May well still be good, since the resin was not facing chlorine.

Could your tank possibly be a 14x47 (typical 2.5 cuft of resin) with a cover/shroud over the fiberglass tank?

Kotkoj

Reaction score
Ah, yes. That space makes a big difference. Your analysis sounds credible to me. I think you found the Econominder service manual, and you know about the white dot.

Yellow looks good to me too. I would clean the injector screen and maybe the nozzle. The injector has two parts -- nozzle and throat.

May well still be good, since the resin was not facing chlorine.

Could your tank possibly be a 14x47 (typical 2.5 cuft of resin) with a cover/shroud over the fiberglass tank?
I measured the circumference again it 47/3.1416 i got 14.96, height is 50. I tried to attach a picture of that as well but for some reason it is saying that 1 is too large for the server. Not sure why as it should be the same as the other 1 I attached. Yes I know about the white dot. That is how I will set the capacity. Not the people and hardness method. I have a softener in my house with the same head. In fact I have 3 of them now. I currently have I in my rental but water is like 33.7gpg hard and its a small 1 cubic foot. With 5 people it will be regenerating every day or 2. The brine tank with that one is leaking and its right by my furnace. I suspect that's why my mainboard keeps corroding on furnace. 3 boards in 3 years. I could just swap brine tabut I feel this softener is better suited.

20220713_202107.jpg

Kotkoj

Reaction score
See Also http://media.wattswater.com/F-WQ-EngineeringGuide.pdf page 11 of 40
For high hardness compensation, I would compute with 40 grains of hardness rather than 33.7

Remember to reduce your calculated gallons by the reserve amount.
So I tore into the head a bit. It is the yellow injector and the blfc is the .5 would you leave it at that? How important is it to check dlfc? That one requires a special tool it looks like and I don't have 1. I reduced 10% for reserve. But ya I can recalculate with 40. So what do you think about resin? 3 cube?

Reach4

Reaction score
Often people allow 60 gallons per person for the reserve.

Hard to say. 3 could make sense. 2.5 could make sense.

You can assume 3 cuft for your initial calculations, then test the residual hardness as you get into the reserve. If you have more than 1 or 2 grains of residual hardness, assume the capacity is less that you tried initially.

For the salt for 3 cuft, you would want from 18 to 24 lbs of salt total.

Also note that you will want to start with some water initially. Pour down the brine well rather than pouring the water over the salt. Once the brine is high enough, the softener will suck the brine down to about the middle of the air check valve during each regen. It will then refill.

Kotkoj

Reaction score
Often people allow 60 gallons per person for the reserve.

Hard to say. 3 could make sense. 2.5 could make sense.

You can assume 3 cuft for your initial calculations, then test the residual hardness as you get into the reserve. If you have more than 1 or 2 grains of residual hardness, assume the capacity is less that you tried initially.

For the salt for 3 cuft, you would want from 18 to 24 lbs of salt total.

Also note that you will want to start with some water initially. Pour down the brine well rather than pouring the water over the salt. Once the brine is high enough, the softener will suck the brine down to about the middle of the air check valve during each regen. It will then refill.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks