Fleck 5000 now leaking

Users who are viewing this thread

Skyjumper

Reaction score
I recently did a rebed of my Fe filter (https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/change-fe-filter-to-katalox.81045/) .

Now it has a new problem --- water discharging from the drain line after the unit backwashes and goes back into service. If I relieve the air charge by manually cycling the unit into backwash and then putting it back into service without recharging the air, the leaking stops. So it seems the internal air pressure is causing this somehow.

My immediate thought was to replace the seals and spacers again (as I have done many times, and as recently as February). So last night I replaced the seals/spacers, piston, injector, and injector screen. but it did not make any difference. now I'm stumped.

Last edited:

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Air and water pressure are equalized, the seals dont care if the pressure is from air or water. If your water pressure is 60 PSI, your air will be 60 PSI. I would remove and gut the valve. soak it overnight in a mild warm acid solution. Get the valve body to be like new, then retry.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks