Fleck 2510 - why/how does backwash rate slow after ~1 min without piston moving?

Users who are viewing this thread

Beets

Reaction score
When my Fleck 2510 starts to back wash, the water is really hissing through it initially. However, after 1 or 1.5 minutes, the rate slows down. I don't understand why the rate drops because I can stare at the piston and I can see it hasn't moved and "the wheel" is still on the same group of pins. I was just curious what causes the back wash rate to slow? Theoretically, I'm supposed to backwash Centaur Carbon at 6 GPM in a 10x54 filter. Is that rate based on the initial rate that I get for 1 to 1.5 minutes, or is that based on the subsequent rate?

Reach4

Reaction score
I suspect at that point you have exhausted the pressure tank. Watch the pressure gauge during that time.

If you can get the backwash to run for a few minutes, rest for a few minutes, repeat a time or two, the pressure tank will start full for each backwash after the first. Look at VT=Othr and look for the word "other" in the manual. Very sparse info on the technique.

I have never tried that programming. If you try it, take notes, and tell us what you have learned.

Last edited:

Beets

Reaction score
I suspect at that point you have exhausted the pressure tank. Watch the pressure gauge during that time.

If you can get the backwash to run for a few minutes, rest for a few minutes, repeat a time or two, the pressure tank will start full for each backwash after the first. Look at VT=Othr and look for the word "other" in the manual. Very sparse info on the technique.

I have never tried that programming. If you try it, take notes, and tell us what you have learned.
Thank you. What I am observing is repeatable and is not a function of whether my pump is on or off.

Reach4

Reaction score
Thank you. What I am observing is repeatable and is not a function of whether my pump is on or off.
Still, watch the pressure gauge during a backwash. If the pressure stays above 35, then I am mystified.

Do you have an air gap on the softener drain line, so if there was backpressure, water would come out?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks