Flat venting?

Users who are viewing this thread

BMWpowere36m3

Reaction score
I just want to verify what actually is flat venting. Below are a few models showing a basic drain, p-trap, trap arm, vent arrangement. Which are considered flat vents?

First up is what I think (based on forum comments) is the preferred "method" of venting, horizontal trap arm into a sanitee and the waste goes down and vent up.

Picture9.jpg
Vertical

What if your horizontal trap arm connects to a horizontal waste line and there is no vertical drop... you put in a wye or sanitee (on its back) and vent straight up off the horizontal trap arm. Is this a flat vent?

Picture10.jpg
Vertical, but should be a wye on it's back, not a santee

If the above is okay... then the below should be okay as well. Sanitee or wye rolled up at least 45 deg (considered vertical).

Picture13.jpg
45 degrees is vertical, but should be a wye on it's back.

What if you put the sanitee or wye exactly horizontal is it a flat vent? And/or an issue because you are not locating the vent opening above the centerline of the waste line?

Picture12.jpg
This is flat.

Or is the last one a flat vent because the vent line goes horizontal before being 42" off the floor or 6" above the flood rim level of a fixture..

Picture14.jpg
This is also flat when it is no longer at a 45
Any fitting on the horizontal should be a wye or combo.

Attachments

• Picture13.jpg
    Picture13.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 693
Last edited by a moderator:

BMWpowere36m3

Reaction score
I dunno… it seems someone edited my posts? I wish it was a response and not an edit to my posts, but I appreciate the response by whomever.

As far as the sanitee… I thought it was considered okay for venting, but not when connecting a vertical WASTE line to a horizontal one.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
The vent cannot contain liquid or hold waste, which is why it must be vertical. A flat vent is a vent that is horizontal and below the minimum allowed height. Any angle greater than 45 degrees is considered vertical.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
ANY fitting within the range of becoming a "flow line", meaning below the overflow level of a fixture is required to be considered a drain and follow the requirements of a drain, therefore, a sanitary tee is NOT a suitable fitting for connecting a vent to a horizontal line, in most areas.

BMWpowere36m3

Reaction score
ANY fitting within the range of becoming a "flow line", meaning below the overflow level of a fixture is required to be considered a drain and follow the requirements of a drain, therefore, a sanitary tee is NOT a suitable fitting for connecting a vent to a horizontal line, in most areas.

Can you also not use a vent 90 till your above the flood rim level of a fixture?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Can you also not use a vent 90 till your above the flood rim level of a fixture?

All fittings below the flood level need to be properly located waste fittings.
"Vent" fittings can only be used where there is no possiblity of water being in them.
For that reason, I don't even carry them on the truck.

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
A horizontal sanitary tee, with the branch in the vertical position and not receiving waste from fixtures above can most certainly be used for venting and both the IPC and the UPC even show pictorial examples of it being used in. That fashion.

Asktom

Reaction score
Below the flood level, the UPC most certainly does NOT allow a san tee on its back to be used as a vent, a drainage fitting (wye/combination) must be used. UPC 905.3 "... Vents less than six (6) inches (152 mm) above the flood rim level of the fixture shall be installed with approved drainage fittings, material and grade to the drain." As for the IPC, I don't know.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks