Flare 3/4 inch copper

Users who are viewing this thread

Geo422

Reaction score
I need to flare a 3/4 inch water supply pipe . I purchased a flaring set with 3/4 inch. But it seems too small.
Is there a specific size to flare 3/4 water supply line?
I got the basic pretty much down . This something I never done but now my curiosity is up on the correct size. Thank everyone George

Reach4

Reaction score
I think flare tools and flare nut sizes refer to OD rather than nominal ID.

Is that soft tubing you are looking to flare? In that case, I think you would be looking for a 7/8.

If that is hard copper pipe, I don't know if you can flare that.

Geo422

Reaction score
I think flare tools and flare nut sizes refer to OD rather than nominal ID.

Is that soft tubing you are looking to flare? In that case, I think you would be looking for a 7/8.

If that is hard copper pipe, I don't know if you can flare that.
Thanks it is type K water supply from city to water meter.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
http://www.balkanplumbing.com/learn-how-to-flare-copper-water-tubing/

Type K Copper water tubing is meant for flaring
Copper tubing comes in four different types, based on its wall thickness. The 4 basic types of copper tubing are: Type K, L, M, and DWV. Type K has the thickest diameter compared to other types of copper of any given diameter. Type DWV (drain, waste, and vent) is used mainly for non-pressurized applications. The ideal type for flaring is Type K because it has a thick wall that can withstand enlargement due to flaring, and because of its soft malleable nature. Type L and M copper are meant to be soldered or brazed to join lengths of it together, as they are considered hard copper tubing. Hard copper tubing is most difficult to flare, and is expressly not meant for that purpose.

Plumber69

In the Trades
Reaction score
why not buy one of these fittings, converts flare to compression

Attachments

• xH-15071.jpg,qitok=xaZkIYox.pagespeed.ic.1eWFdrLHuU.jpg
    xH-15071.jpg,qitok=xaZkIYox.pagespeed.ic.1eWFdrLHuU.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 249

Geo422

Reaction score
There are several different brands, but only one basic model.
Thank you HJ I ordered one and today I flare the copper out . Very easy to do of course with the advice from here. Now I will let you know if the water works accept it or not. George

Last edited:

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
"The ideal type for flaring is Type K because it has a thick wall that can withstand enlargement due to flaring, and because of its soft malleable nature."

We flair type L all the time as well as typer K and we ever double flair for higher such as AC compressors

Geo422

Reaction score
Thanks to everyone who replied. I used the hammer flare tool that HJ suggested and happy to report that water meter is in and no leaks . Can not thank you all enough. First time I have ever done a flare fitting.. GEORGE

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks