Flapper too tight

Users who are viewing this thread

Marta

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I have a somewhat opposite issue to the leaky flapper - the flapper on one of my toilets is too tight. I've replaced the lever at least 4 times and the most recent one lasted maybe a year, if that. They were all the plastic kind but I'll try to find one that's all metal and hopefully that will last. And the reason they keep breaking is because it's really hard to actually flush the toilet, the flapper is so tight it feels like it's pressure sealed. I know that we all want water tight seals but this is too much. I don't recall every replacing the flapper in this toilet and since I've lived in this house since it was new, I know for a fact the flapper is over 20 years old. Should I replace it even though it's not leaking or is there something else I can do to make the flushing easier and not have to replace the lever every year.
TIA
Marta

PlumbNuts

SC Licensed Plumbing Contractor
Reaction score
Website
riverviewplumbingrepair.com
Hi everyone,
I have a somewhat opposite issue to the leaky flapper - the flapper on one of my toilets is too tight. I've replaced the lever at least 4 times and the most recent one lasted maybe a year, if that. They were all the plastic kind but I'll try to find one that's all metal and hopefully that will last. And the reason they keep breaking is because it's really hard to actually flush the toilet, the flapper is so tight it feels like it's pressure sealed. I know that we all want water tight seals but this is too much. I don't recall every replacing the flapper in this toilet and since I've lived in this house since it was new, I know for a fact the flapper is over 20 years old. Should I replace it even though it's not leaking or is there something else I can do to make the flushing easier and not have to replace the lever every year.
TIA
Marta
Over time the flapper can become weakened and the weight of the water can cause it to "collapse" into the flush valve causing it to stick; replacing the flapper should resolve your issue.

Marta

Reaction score
Over time the flapper can become weakened and the weight of the water can cause it to "collapse" into the flush valve causing it to stick; replacing the flapper should resolve your issue.
OMG I never even thought about it like that but it makes so much sense!

Thank you :)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks