flange troubles

Users who are viewing this thread

cmose

Reaction score
--Bugger, title should read "flange" troubles. Missed the 'e'--

I hate to start another thread, but this is a bit of a different issue.

My current toilet flange is an offset pvc flange that is set into concrete. The flange isn't perfectly level (hadn't noticed this until I tried to set the new toilet). Basically the back of the flange, closest to the wall, is about 1/8'' higher then the front of the flange.

The back is about 1/4'' above the finished floor and the front is a small 1/8''. I used one of the jumbo wax rings for flanges below the finished floor surface and it looks as if it made no contact whatsoever on the front side of the toilet (the portion of the flange that is lower by 1/8'' +) and made extremely good contact on the portion on the back of the flange (1/8'' + higher). I'm largely baffled by this as the flange is thick enough to cover the 1/8''+ height difference so I can't figure out why in the heck no contact was made on the front!

Does anyone have any advice or can they point out something that I'm completely missing?? I picked up one of the no wax gaskets but didn't think through it and failed to realize that it's not suitable for an offset drain...

--I should point out that the toilet was not rocking and was perfectly steady on the floor when it was bolted in...

Last edited:

cmose

Reaction score
Just thought I'd add a follow up. Finally got the wax ring sealing properly (looks as if I somehow kept dropping it in off center!). So that was fine until this morning, when I tripped and fell onto the toilet, which now rocks back and forth with the greatest of ease. I believe I ripped one of the bolts out (just realizing now that I haven't checked the porcelain for a crack).

Still need to pull it up and investigate but really not looking forward to the encounter.

cmose

Reaction score
David,
thanks much for the advice - I finally got it straightened out. I ended up incorrectly lining up the slots of the repair flange that I used with the existing flange. That allowed one of the bolts to come loose when I bumped into the toilet (fell into I suppose). I repositioned the repair flange and all was good.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks