Flange too low and no "room"? for a new one

Users who are viewing this thread

Seattle_Scott

Reaction score
Original flange mounting was too low (flange was mounted to subfloor (3/4) plywood). I'm probably going to put in tile which will make the height difference worse.

I'd like to cut off the old flange and glue on a new one when the new floor is done but wonder if I have enough room to do anything. Am I being a chicken for not wanting to have a plumber come in and redo the stuff in the picture just to get the flange a little higher.

Any suggestions? I'd really like to do a rubber coupling if there isn't an easy ABS solution but don't know if that is per code in the greater Seattle area.

Thanks,
SS

Attachments

• flange_01.jpg
    flange_01.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 296
  • flange_02.jpg
    flange_02.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 277

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Nix on the rubber coupling.

You could split out the pipe in the hub of the fitting.
That's hard to describe though.
Plumbers do it sometimes.
What they did before was use two wax rings.
A fluidmaster Waxless seal works pretty good for that too, if you don't raise the flange.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
flange

My recommendation would be to get rid of the all plastic flange now, before it breaks, (and it sometimes happens as soon as you try to set the toilet back in place), and you have to do it through the new tile. A plumber should be able to remove the flange and then install a new one after the tile is done, (or you could glue the new one on then).

Seattle_Scott

Reaction score
Yep, got a plumber coming out tomorrow morning. I talked to an acquaintance that used to be a plumber and he told me how to get the old pipe out but hiring a plumber that has the skills and "touch" sounds like the smart thing to me.

Once the floor is fixed and the tile is in I'll glue it all up.

Thanks for the advice guys !!!

SS

Molo

Reaction score
hj said:
My recommendation would be to get rid of the all plastic flange now, before it breaks, (and it sometimes happens as soon as you try to set the toilet back in place), and you have to do it through the new tile. A plumber should be able to remove the flange and then install a new one after the tile is done, (or you could glue the new one on then).

Just wondering what kind of flange you would recommend if he gets rid of the all plastic one?

TIA,
Molo

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks