Flange/Subfloor Question

Users who are viewing this thread

Irelandhokie

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I had a leak in a renovated bathroom where the wax ring wasn’t properly installed. My plumber said the flange wasn’t high enough off the floor. Fast forward we had our contractor from the insurance company replace the subfloor that was rotted/moldy and they have tiled the floor. I need to get the plumber back out and I want to make sure he does things right, so hoping you guys can help me.

The old PVC flange was broken on one side and had a steel repair kit placed on it. The old flange is definitely too low and sits below the tile floor. I’ve also noted the new subfloor doesn’t fully meet the flange in places as they didn’t cut out the flange to install it. The old flange does seem to be screwed in to the floor in one place and I can see that there is subfloor under it in other places where screws could be placed.

Should I be able to just have the existing flange raised and repaired? Is there anything special I should be asking the plumber do to ensure I have a good installation? This last leak has been emotionally taxing on my family so we can’t really go through it again. I’ve attached some pictures for your review.

Attachments

• 534DCBE1-EEB4-4CD3-BDD5-8E6771AEB4CF.jpeg
    534DCBE1-EEB4-4CD3-BDD5-8E6771AEB4CF.jpeg
    75.4 KB · Views: 153
  • 56A650F3-5ED9-4E15-92D4-445D5F560EE1.jpeg
    56A650F3-5ED9-4E15-92D4-445D5F560EE1.jpeg
    81.6 KB · Views: 141
  • EB3DA17E-F77B-4927-98A8-604D2C25EFDE.jpeg
    EB3DA17E-F77B-4927-98A8-604D2C25EFDE.jpeg
    144.3 KB · Views: 144
  • 512EAF65-2015-4FA6-A7F9-F7D75AA5D892.jpeg
    512EAF65-2015-4FA6-A7F9-F7D75AA5D892.jpeg
    133.2 KB · Views: 141
  • D5E486D1-53AB-44D2-8357-50B30F293011.jpeg
    D5E486D1-53AB-44D2-8357-50B30F293011.jpeg
    104.6 KB · Views: 142

Reach4

Reaction score
Should I be able to just have the existing flange raised and repaired? Is there anything special I should be asking the plumber do to ensure I have a good installation?
Just ask the plumber to fix it with a new closet flange with a stainless steel ring. Don't ask him to reuse your old flange. No need to tell him how.

But what he or you could do is to install a Danco Hydro Seat over the old flange. A Danco Hydro Seat is like repair ring with a tail. Use wax ring under. The legs go over the tile. The question is how do you hold it down? You can drill holes through the tile, and run screws into the subfloor. But you could also use the more interior holes, not at the leg tips, drill through the plastic, and have the screws screw into something below like good wood. The toilet sits on top of the hydroseat, and as much wax as needed goes below.

Some tile is hard to drill through. That is ceramic. Some tile is very very hard to drill through. That is porcelain. Vinyl is easy to drill through. https://www.danco.com/product/hydroseat-flange-repair/

next-by-danco-toilet-flanges-10672x-e1_100.jpg

Last edited:

Irelandhokie

Reaction score
Thank you so much for your feedback. Is it possible to cut out the old flange from above if it’s sitting below the tile floor? Reason I ask is contractor’s plumber who was only putting our sink in said that the only way to cut out the old flange would be to do it from below and that it would be complicated because it’s a series of elbows/connections up to the second floor.

Other question. Does the danco hydro seat have a wider footprint than a typical flange? Want to make sure all the screws would go into subfloor since I know there are some gaps under the existing flange.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
It is possible to drill out the old flange from above with a RamBit.
Or they also make repair flanges that will fit in from above and insert down into the drain. Where I'm at, most flanges are installed like yours, on the 3/4" plywood with the flooring cut around the flange, installed with either a deep wax ring or two rings stacked. If the bowl fits flat to the floor it's never an issue. If there is wobble then shimming is needed. A bowl that moves doesn't hold a seal.

neorest-install-03.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks