Flange & subfloor question

Users who are viewing this thread

tc1

Reaction score
So, I'm rebuilding my bathroom from the floor up.
The toilet flange and elbow are black abs and have been either been cemented or leaded into cast iron.
I'm ready to install the new subfloor, but the top of the subfloor will be flush with the top of flange.
I have no desire to tear into the abs/cast iron union and start over, but i need to raise the flange height by about 3/4".

Any suggestions?

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
You could double the wax ring or use some type of toilet flange extension kit.

Last edited:

tc1

Reaction score
that takes care of the elevation issue. but i still need to raise the flange enough to slide the new subfloor under it, don't i?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The edges of the flange do need to be supported. Ideally, it would sit on top of the finished floor, and be anchored through it into the subflooring. If it's sitting on subflooring now, usually, you can get some new underneath, but that also means that you may need to put in some blocking to support it on the cut seam, especially if you're intending to tile the floor, or it will be weak there, and potentially crack your tile or grout.

tc1

Reaction score
making a long story short, after chiseling off two layers of tile, a few inches of concrete, plus 6 inches of fill material i leveled the floors.
and now the flange is sitting at the same elevation as the subfloor.

i've seen a few videos of people drilling, cutting, and then prying and abs flange off the elbow. is that my only option?
or do i just cut the abs ring off, leave the collar glued where it is, then find a new flange that will slip inside of the original?

Jadnashua

Reaction score
A cleaner way to remove pipe from a socket is to buy a tool made for it to ream the socket out. One brand is called RamBit. Trying to crack it out is prone to problems...you might get it without too much damage, but then again, you may not. The tool should always work.

But, depending on how thick your added components are, you may just need two wax rings or one jumbo. Or, some of the waxless seals create their seal via a funnel and gasket on the inside of the pipe and can overcome a flange that is lower than design.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
A cleaner way to remove pipe from a socket is to buy a tool made for it to ream the socket out. One brand is called RamBit. Trying to crack it out is prone to problems...you might get it without too much damage, but then again, you may not. The tool should always work.

But, depending on how thick your added components are, you may just need two wax rings or one jumbo. Or, some of the waxless seals create their seal via a funnel and gasket on the inside of the pipe and can overcome a flange that is lower than design.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks