Flange Ringer and concrete level question

Users who are viewing this thread

gopokes65

Reaction score
Posted here a couple weeks back about a rusted ringer on a closet toilet flange. I removed the metal ringer and chiseled out the bad concrete and then replaced it with hydraulic cement. My question is does it matter how much of a gap I leave between the new ringer and the concrete? I probably have about 1/2 inch gap between the new ringer and the new concrete. Will this matter? I am concerned that if I don't have this gap that I won't be able to install the new ringer as it is a tight fight with some of the surround granite tiles. Thanks for the input in advance.

-Kyle

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
If I had gone to that much trouble, I would have removed the entire old flange and installed a new one. From the picture it appears you should not have a problem, BUT it depends on what kind of flange you are going to use with what you have there.

Cwhyu2

Consultant
Reaction score
Is this the one? mossbay.jpg

gopokes65

Reaction score
yes. But I just talked to another buddy who is a master plumber and he said go ahead and fill it up another half inch and then set the ring in the concrete.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I usually just put the flange on, then put the screws in place and pour in the cement...

Done!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
I have had toilets which that red ring would NOT fit into the recess in the bottom. The two lugs where the closet bolts fit stick out too far, and the toilet sits on top of them.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I have had toilets which that red ring would NOT fit into the recess in the bottom. The two lugs where the closet bolts fit stick out too far, and the toilet sits on top of them.

I've had the same experience...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks