flange question

Users who are viewing this thread

tony f.

Reaction score
redoing bathroom, flange sits about 1 & 1/8 " above subfloor. Plumber says to just build up subfloor by doubling 1/2" plywood. Does this sound right. Will be finishing floor with ceramic tile. Should the flange be above tiled floor or level with it.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Flanges should set on top of the finished floor and be screwed through into the sub flooring. With ceramic tile, it's easiest to notch the tile when the screws have to go through rather than drilling. Drilling is possible, but requires special bits. Use #12 stainless steel screws of sufficient length to get well into or through the sub floor.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Jim is correct about resetting the flange. This is actually replacing. In assumed that would be done in my original response, but didn't make it very clear. I would not try to build up the floor just to avoid replacing the flange to the proper height.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks