Flange Bolts Questions

Users who are viewing this thread

Smack2k

Reaction score
Hello all,

New to the forum and looking for some advice.

I am replacing the toilet in my bedroom bathroom. When we took the old toilet off and cleaned up the flange, I noticed the flange bolts were really loose. Upon further inspection and more cleaning, I found that the bolts werent screwed into anything but instead had flat oval bottoms on them and they slid into / under the flange onto what looks like an oval pad so once in the flange slot they couldnt be pulled straight up and out but are shaky. The only nut that was on the flange bolt was the nut and washer that were holding the toilet down on the bolt.

Is this normal? When I install the new toilet, should I just place the bowl down and over the free moving flange bolts then screw down with the nut and washer once the bowl is in place? It looked like the wax ring was helping hold the bolt in place as well once it was compressed down (on the old toilet) so do I need to make sure I have a bigger wax ring so when its put in place it will fill in the flange area where the bolt is

Any help / guidance is greatly appreciated. I hope what I said made sense!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Closet bolts that come with some toilet, and closet bolts sold at hardware stores come with a single nut and washer.
What I pick up at my plumbing supply locations come with two nuts and washers. Plumbers always secure the bolt to the flange before setting the toilet down on the wax ring.

oatey-twist-n-set-terrylove-3.jpg

Last edited:

Smack2k

Reaction score
Thank you for the info......will putting the nut and washer on before the toilet cause any issues when I go to put the toilet down on it / not let it sit fully down?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks