flange 3/8" below floor, easily accessible, replace or double wax

Users who are viewing this thread

hopskeens

Reaction score
Seen similar questions plenty of times here, but just wanted to run it by anyone that would like to chime in. New flooring, didn't know a thing about flange height until afterwards or course. Seems the simplest/popular is 2 wax rings w horn on top. Or should I over think it and replace the flange as it's easily accessible and go w a long shank one, like the raven PVC436SS 3x4 6" long? I believe the main pipe is 4" and the current flange is 3x4.

IMG-5645.jpgIMG-5646.jpgPVC436SS-3.jpg

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
easy fix vs easy to double up and no concern of water damage makes it a toss up. dont forget some blocking underneath and some good wood screws brass or stainless

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
If your floor wasn't done is say redo it, but since it's done and you would have to fill the void if you raised I'd say go with two wax rings. When that pvc flange breaks then replace it with a stainless one one at the correct height.

By the way who would put the horned wax ring on top of a regular wax ring? I would do flange with horn, then wax ring, then toilet.

hopskeens

Reaction score
Trying to figure out my game plan, this is actually a 3" pipe, guess I'll be doing an outside fit flange. Theres 5 7/8" bw flange connection and elbow.

Would my best option be to cut right below the flange connection and install a long outside flange(something like pictured above) even if the drain pipe is that much lower(or is it required to be flush w floor)?
or
Cut a bit lower down, install a coupler and more pipe, cut it flush w floor and use regular outside fit flange?

And user a spacer something like below its 3/4"
IMG-5646 (1).jpg886-ER.jpg

hopskeens

Reaction score
Appreciate the info Jeff and John, just tossing around some ideas, for some reason Im wired to over think everything.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
If I choose to replace ring Id cut it lower put coupling and afresh piece of 3 inch through floor use a spacerglue a new closet ring with stainless flange screw it to floor

Reach4

Reaction score
If I glued a closet flange, I would want a stainless steel ring. Putting a spacer under the ring, to raise the ring to about finished floor level would be good. An alternative would be to make a spacer from wood, but buying the plastic one is going to be easier for most people.

Jeff's suggestion of "blocking" underneath is to give the wood screws something more to bite into, other than the plywood subfloor.

There is a non-glue type of flange I would consider: a 3-inch outside compression flange.

These are similar:
plumbest C40-320 3inch pipe outside. 2 inch deep.
Code Blue No Caulk Closet Flange *outside* C40320
Jones Stephens C40320 3 pipe x 2 depth ***

Each of those would need some additional clearance cut .

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
If I glued a closet flange, I would want a stainless steel ring. Putting a spacer under the ring, to raise the ring to about finished floor level would be good. An alternative would be to make a spacer from wood, but buying the plastic one is going to be easier for most people.

Jeff's suggestion of "blocking" underneath is to give the wood screws something more to bite into, other than the plywood subfloor.

There is a non-glue type of flange I would consider: a 3-inch outside compression flange.

These are similar:
plumbest C40-320 3inch pipe outside. 2 inch deep.
Code Blue No Caulk Closet Flange *outside* C40320
Jones Stephens C40320 3 pipe x 2 depth ***

Each of those would need some additional clearance cut .
The plastic spacer is easy and best for this applicartion. The wood screws keep flange from pulling up and if the pvc is strapped totaly ridgid the flange cant move as its not going to fall down ward allthe forces are pulling up. n everthe less proper workman ship is to have the flange screwed solid against the floor or a spacer

hopskeens

Reaction score
Still need to screw it down correctly, got some 2" brass to go thru spacer and flooring, but with y'alls advice thinking it turned out alright.

Got the idea to cut a straight pipe from the forum here, use a clamp, should've cut lower but wanted some wiggle room if I messed up in the end
IMG-5654.jpg

Had to dremel some tile/motar and used a 3/4" set rite
IMG-5655.jpgItemImage-489380-q5w63x-enl200-forckv.jpg

And put the pvc/flange together
IMG-5660.jpgIMG-5661.jpg

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks