Fixing tub drain / vent..

Users who are viewing this thread

Shawn2k15

Reaction score
Hi professionals..

I'm living in a single story house; and I was doing some fixing to my tub drainage during the weekend - it was with galvanized pipe (I think - it's light gray with threaded connections) and almost completely blocked from inside. and since I was new I ignored the vent pipe and just cut it off, and replaced it with ABS pipe. of course that doesn't work since the vent pipe is so important now the drain has strange behavior, moreover, the vent is shorter so it is now under the roof - when it starts to rain, it must be leaking.

Now I have to remove the vent completely and replace it with some PVC or ABS. I have a couple of questions
- seems the pipe is very heavy. is it possible to get rid of it from the roof or I have to open the wall and patch it again? I may not have the same paint..; It is also partially exposed in attic - will there be an option there?
- is it ok to use ABS pipe on the roof as vent? it looks weird though - it is black. also is it durable? - exposed to sun etc..

Or is this DIY-able? shall I just hiring a plumber?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The tub drain without the vent will siphon itself dry. When that happens, you have an open path from the sewer to your home. Yuck! :(
Depending on how your home is plumbed, you may be able to pull the pipe up through the roof. But if that were the case, it's more likely that it would have dropped lower when it was cut. It could be that it's attached to over vents, may have couplings somewhere, or perhaps 90 bends.
If you have room for it, you can try using an AAV (air admittance valve) which may be an easier fix for you.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
I have no idea WHAT you did, because you said you "cut it off and replaced it with PVC", but if you did that you would NOT have blocked the vent or changed how it was working, and if you "replaced it", why is it now shorter and under the roof? At the rate you are going, you may be changing a simple problem into a major remodeling job.

Shawn2k15

Reaction score
Here's what i did. originally it is like the first picture, I cut at the red position and ignored the vent. which was apparently wrong. and the pipe fell downwards to the ground and leave a "hole" on roof (the flashing is still there but no pipe).

I'll try today to see if I could pull it up from attic. it seems to be quite heavy though.

Apparently the advertisement on this page tells me I should use "perma boot" to cap the top vent when it is done..

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-09-22 at 2.07.18 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-09-22 at 2.07.18 PM.png
    17 KB · Views: 118
  • Screen Shot 2015-09-22 at 2.11.43 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-09-22 at 2.11.43 PM.png
    12.4 KB · Views: 111

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You may be able to pull the pipe up and out, and drop in plastic.
Or you can push the galvainzied pipe up, and clamp it in the attic to hold it in place.
Then replumb using the vent.

Shawn2k15

Reaction score
I checked attic, it won't work - too close to the edge and I can't even sit.

Now sounds like a few options available:
  1. Try to pull it from the roof - not sure how though. Drill a hole and use a rope?
  2. Cut foot by foot from crawlspace - about 10-15 cuts required - a lot of work.
  3. Ignore it, cap the flashing/opening on roof (HOW?), and use AAV underneath tub.
  4. Open the wall - in this case I would probably hire someone. the problem is we may not be able to find the matching paint..
Suggestions?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks