Fixing someone else's DIY

Users who are viewing this thread

apautz22

Reaction score
I bought a house over winter and am remodeling it. The upstairs bathroom is my current project. I lucked out that it is over the garage so I have easy access to the plumbing from below.
Attached is a picture of the DIY fail that the previous owner did.
Also attached is my purposed plan for fixing it. My question is can I get by with the existing vent in Yellow or will I need to add vents like the red one and tie them into the vent stack?
I live in Arkansas and I believe I fall under IPC.
TIA
Aaron
IMG_20200629_115146.jpg
plumbing.jpg

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
My question is can I get by with the existing vent in Yellow or will I need to add vents like the red one and tie them into the vent stack?
You need the red vent. You could use an AAV if tying into the existing vents is hard.

Another possibility is the Rectorseal 97402 if the AAV that goes on top of it clears the bottom of the lavatory with room to change out the AAV.

97402-3.jpg

apautz22

Reaction score
You need the red vent. You could use an AAV if tying into the existing vents is hard.

Another possibility is the Rectorseal 97402 if the AAV that goes on top of it clears the bottom of the lavatory with room to change out the AAV.

97402-3.jpg
Thanks Reach4 for the help.
Venting the lavatory would have to be done in the attic to tie into the existing vent, which that roof is a low slope so there isn't much room to move around and the existing vent is in the narrowest part. I really didn't want to have to try to tie into it.
Have you heard anything negative about the AAVs? Is there a particular one you would recommend vs another?
Does the tub need its own vent too, or is it good with the existing vent?
Thanks
Aaron

Reach4

Reaction score
Venting the lavatory would have to be done in the attic to tie into the existing vent, which that roof is a low slope so there isn't much room to move around and the existing vent is in the narrowest part. I really didn't want to have to try to tie into it.
Have you heard anything negative about the AAVs? Is there a particular one you would recommend vs another?
AAVs can fail. Studor is the classic, but Oatey is good too. I expect Rectorseal is good. I am not a plumber.

Does the tub need its own vent too, or is it good with the existing vent?
Hard to say. Probably not technically OK due to not bath stuff coming in upstream, but lacking a symptom, I would not change it unless I were replacing what is there.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
IF you're running vents into the attic for the sink, run one from the tub, too. YOu can combine them all in the attic, or run a new one through the roof.

If I understand it correctly, you can't run the toilet past the other fixtures that are not individually vented, but can wet vent past the toilet.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks