Fixing shower slope

Users who are viewing this thread

sctclimbs

Reaction score
I pulled out my tub shower and made a walk in shower in that space, kept the drain in the same location on the left side. I bought a presloped shower form that I could tile over. Did kerdi over the form and up the walls. Well the slope isn’t right and water pools in the back of the shower. It needs probably another 1/2 to 3/8 inch height in the back, sloping down to the middle of the shower where then the slope is good from there to the drain. I’ve pulled up the tiles on the back half of the shower. Can I just do a small slope from the back to the middle with sand topping mix? That would sit over the original kerdi.
Worthy idea or not?
If worthy should I put another layer or kerdi over the new sloped section? No way to reseam the edges though with out pulling the wall tile.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It's nearly impossible to pull tile off of a membrane like Kerdi without also pulling the fleece up, which means you'd not get anything to attach to it. FWIW, thinset doesn't 'stick' to fleece based sheet membranes, it bonds because it flows around the fleece and then cures.

You might have a chance of using a center punch, crack the tile and leave some of the thinset, but it will probably pull the fleece off, or leave you with a high spot and lippage when reinstalling it.

Deck mud (sand topping mix) needs some thickness to work, and thinset isn't a good idea depending on how thick it needs to be...most is designed to be less than 1/4".

You'll probably get some more ideas over at www.johnbridge.com where they specialize in tiling things. SOme of the pros there may have some other insight from their experiences over the years.

If you'd done a flood test, when draining things, it would have become more obvious, and a fix much easier.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks