Fixing Low Pressure in New Attic Bathroom

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by Chris12, Oct 31, 2014.

1. Chris12

Chris12 New Member

I just installed a new bathroom in my 3rd story attic (about 30 fee above ground) and have very week water pressure. I haven't measured the pressure, but its flowing at just under 1gpm. The bathroom water supply was originally connected to the hot/cold pipes from 2nd floor bathroom (just below), until I ran new plumbing all the way up from the basement to try and solve the pressure problem (this didn't change anything)

Additional details:
    -Pressure in rest of house is fine, including 2nd floors
    -house is all half inch copper piping except the new bathroom which is 1/2 pex
    -3/4 pipe from city (Saco, Me)
    -new 1//2 pex plumbing coming from the basement serving only the new attic bathroom.
    -attic bathroom has double vanity, shower, toilet - pressure is equally low in each.
    -Hot/cold have equally low pressure in attic bathroom

So, the question is, what are my options to solve the problem?

2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Plumber
    solutions? First find out what the pressure coming in to the house is, then deduct for the loss due to elevation and see what you have left. The only solution for low pressure is usually a booster pump.

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. Chris12

Chris12 New Member

OK - assuming its a pressure problem due to elevation is there a way to boost pressure to only the attic bathroom given its has dedicated supply lines. Is it as "easy" as installing a jet pump on each line?

5. hj

Plumber
    It is as easy as installing an A Y McDonald inline booster in the main line and boosting the pressure in the entire house.

6. Chris12

Chris12 New Member

Thanks HJ - is there a solution that would allow me to only boost the pressure to the attic in order to avoid increasing water usage throughout the house, possible 2 lower power inline pumps?

Do all inline pumps require expansion tanks?

7. hj

Plumber
    If you do not have enough pressure to get up to the attic, then the entire house DOES need a pressure booster.

8. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

Do as HJ suggested, and measure your incoming water pressure. You can get a gauge with a garden hose thread for $15 or so.

If the pressure is less than 30 at your garden hose tap or your laundry connection, which your symptoms would suggest, I would ask your local water company/department if they can help. Maybe they just have to adjust something... It should not hurt to ask.

It is possible (although somewhat unlikely) that you have a pressure regulating valve in your house that has gone bad.