Fixing low pressure and uneven flow to multi head body sprayers

Users who are viewing this thread

Richard Krider

Reaction score
multiheadshower.jpg

This diagram shows my current setup and proposed "new" pressure loop. Right now I have low pressure and irregular flow to the spray heads. Will a pressure loop help/improve things? I get ok pressure at the hand shower head when the diverter is to the head but not so much at the body sprayers. All pipe is 1/2 inch. The left and right body sprayers are about six feet apart. Do/should I need to have a loop around each set of three sprayers? I hope not but tell me if so.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
index.php

Most directions that I have seen do shower the loops. I haven't worked with many for some reason, but it does sound like a good idea.
I hope you're not running this off of a tankless water heater, as they might not give you enough volume for multiple heads.

Reach4

Reaction score
You have 1/2 inch pipe supplying 6 spray heads at the same time?

What is the water pressure at your house? (gauges are pretty cheap)

Last edited:

Richard Krider

Reaction score
index.php

Most directions that I have seen do shower the loops. I haven't worked with many for some reason, but it does sound like a good idea.
I hope you're not running this off of a tankless water heater, as they might not give you enough volume for multiple heads.
I have seen pictures like yours. Does my diagram accomplish the same loop?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
IMHO, feeding that with 1/2" pipe, you'll never get it to work properly!

The copper institute calls for a maximum flow rate of 5fps with hot water in copper. That equates to 4gpm with a 1/2" copper pipe. Throw in some allowance for cold, and cold's maximum flow rate is 8fps (about 7gpm), you might get somewhere near that through your system. Most 1/2" valves are not rated for much more than 6gpm, and you're trying to feed six body sprays? At what rated volume/spray? Are you also feeding a standard showerhead in addition to the body sprays? A body spray can be rated anywhere from barely a gpm to several. Throw in a 'normal' showerhead, which is typically 2.5gpm, and you could be asking it to deliver MUCH more than the piping will allow. A loop can help, but only if you have enough supply, which, it does not appear you have.

You only get full pressure at the outlets of your sprays when you have more water than they'll let out available in the piping to the assembly. FWIW, the effect of gravity will change the pressure available by about 0.43#/foot elevation change...probably not enough to notice any difference in your case.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks