Fixing Leaking Offset Cast Iron Toilet Flange

Users who are viewing this thread

jlpapple

Reaction score
I'm looking for advice on how to fix this issue myself. I've been in the house two years and I noticed small beads of water on the exterior of the 4" waste pipe after flushing - there have been no prior leaks until this week. There is no leaking along the bathroom floor, no clogging or any other issues.

Upon removing the toilet I noticed that the wax ring was centered over the toilet output, but not over the waste pipe. The wax ring's plastic "funnel" was folded over on the right side and seemed to direct the output to the left, a bit more aligned with the center of the waste pipe. This arrangement seems tenuous at best.

The toilet is an 11" rough-in from the rear wall, with only 8" of clearance to a wall on the left side - hence the offset flange.

Should I cut two wax rings and align them accordingly? Should I replace the flange with a PVC offset that slides into the 4" cast iron waste pipe? I've tried the SaniSeal Waxless Gasket but my flange was too high off the floor to seat properly.

I'm a bit shocked that the toilet didn't leak at all for the past two years with this current arrangement and I'm looking for a cost-effective, reliable solution thanks.

TKqdd0h.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks