Fixing Basement Bathroom

Users who are viewing this thread

UTChris

Reaction score
I have an older home, 1950's and am in the process of remodeling the basement. It was a mildew ridden drog and now I have gutted it and sealed the walls with xypex, reframed and replaced the old 2 wire electric with newer romex that is properly grounded, while using a restroom that I had probelms with, noticed an odor. I did some simple investigating and found mildew in that room as well in the shower (there was a gap between the walls and pan and was used before I moved in) - sandwiched between drywall sheets behind the tile shower.

I have since removed the shower and the smell is gone. Prior to the demo I had a sink, shower and toilet. As it stands now I have a toilet. The old shower was using a floor drain as its drain using a threaded riser) and the sink was draining into it through a t fitting in the side (that is why I could hear the draining when running the sink). I have since chiseled through the concrete revealing the old iron floor drain pipe and the trap that the shower drain ran into - that is where I am at in this project, approx 1.5 ft diameter hole.

My question is where to go from here? I have a pretty good idea what I need to do, remove the cast iron pipe and run newer pipe for the shower drain, sink drain and 2(?) vent lines for these fixtures. Appreciate the help!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
drains

That is pretty much what you have to do, but how you have to do it is impossible to tell you without a lot more information, and possibly a visit to your house.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks