Fixing Acid Neutralizer Drain Standpipe Problem

Users who are viewing this thread

FixingItUp

Reaction score
Thanks in advance for any advice on this problem. I have been dealing with this problem since the house was built.

When my well water acid neutralizer backwashes, it overflows the standpipe. It's my understanding that the standpipe is too short, see "existing neutralizer standpipe" picture.

Two solutions that I can think of are: 1) add another horizontal run that would allow me to increase the length of the standpipe to greater than 18 inches or 2) lower the existing horizontal run. The current neutralizer standpipe is connected to the kitchen sink drain. I am thinking it's best to not make any changes to this section of the line, so I am thinking the best option is to add the second horizontal run, see "planned change" picture.

Are there other options I should consider? Running the neutralizer drain to the washer drain is not really an easy option.

Thoughts?

Existing Neutralizer Standpipe.jpeg
Existing Neutralizer Standpipe

Planned Change.jpeg
Planned Change

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    7.2 KB · Views: 134
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    7.2 KB · Views: 131

Aaroninnh

Reaction score
You could do that, but you would need to vent it, either with an AAV or something else.

You could also lower the whole line down too, but thats wet venting the standpipe via the kitchen drain. Not an area I have a lot of expertise in.

Reach4

Reaction score
I see there is already an AAV, so you could keep that, and extend the pipe upstream of the trap.

The place where the kitchen drainage turns horizontal is a common place for a clog. You may want to add cleanout to make it easy to clean that area.

So put the standpipe into the 3 inch before the kitchen, or move the standpipe down, at least as far as your marked drawing. Maybe go left more.

And add that cleanout.

FixingItUp

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply.

If I went with your idea of connecting to the 3" pipe, would I need to add an AAV, see option 3 picture. Would this be a better solution than just moving the standpipe down? Also, I don't understand your comment about 'Maybe go left more'. Would you please elaborate on this.

Option 3.jpeg

Reach4

Reaction score
I see that what I thought was an AAV was not. Was that the kitchen drain line where the standpipe connected? I was thinking the 2 inch vertical on the left was the kitchen. What are the two lines from above?

Also, I don't understand your comment about 'Maybe go left more'. Would you please elaborate on this.
That was when I thought you were connecting the trap arm to the vertical pipe.

You will want to mechanically secure the standpipe. If you don't want to drill lower, you can mount a piece strut higher, and put in a clamp to take the force off of the standpipe, and therefore the rest of the piping.

I have attached an idea for an alternate construction.

Attachments

• img4.PNG
    img4.PNG
    3.1 KB · Views: 134

FixingItUp

Reaction score
Here is a pic with more details on the current configuration. I am thinking that the pipe to the 2nd floor is providing the air to prevent the traps from sucking themselves empty. I would prefer not cutting into the 3" main pipe to add a new connection.

Will adding a second horizontal pipe between the 3" main and the horizontal pipe the kitchen sink drain and the neutralizer drain are currently connected to work? This is my original plan.

Details of Current Setup.jpeg

Planned Change.jpeg

Reach4

Reaction score
I would come down lower, lengthen the standpipe, add cleanout.

Attachments

• img_4.jpg
    img_4.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 123
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks