Fixing a leaky sink

Users who are viewing this thread

doppleganger2621

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Looking for what might be causing my leak under my sink. We have a Moen Camerist single handle with the pull out sprayer.

The last week or so, we've noticed water starting to pool underneath our sink in the cabinet. Through some testing, we determined there doesn't appear to be an issue to any of the actual plumbing piping, or anything from the dishwasher. The water does not appear to actively drip when we are running the faucet. However, after a bit, we will notice that water is under the sink again.

There seems to be some water dripping down the hot water supply line, and also some water that pools around the O-ring connection the faucet to our countertop. It makes me think that there is some form of blockage occurring that isn't allowing all the water to leave the faucet.

Is it possible to tell more immediately if the issue is due to the hot water supply line, or perhaps a faulty cartridge inside the faucet? Would a bad cartridge cause water to come back down into the sink?

Thanks in advance.

Reach4

Reaction score
The last week or so, we've noticed water starting to pool underneath our sink in the cabinet. Through some testing, we determined there doesn't appear to be an issue to any of the actual plumbing piping, or anything from the dishwasher. The water does not appear to actively drip when we are running the faucet. However, after a bit, we will notice that water is under the sink again.
Do you have access below? There could be a failure in the wall with the sanitary tee or drain pipe under the sanitary tee. Some leaking water could make it into the basement or crawlspace, and some could make it under the sink.

Put some containers under the trap and other sink area. If those stay empty, expect the problem is in the wall.

Alternatively, fill the sink but keep it stoppered for a long interval. If things are dry, open the drain stopper(s) allowing water to flow into the drain. If the water appears after the interval, and the trap area is not dripping into the container, the problem is in the wall.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
"Put some containers under the trap and other sink area."

It will take more testing to find the source of the leak, so place dry bowls under every connection in there: under the faucet, under the angle stops and under the trap. You will do the testing by eliminating the places that don't leak, and hopefully narrow it down to the leaking spot.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks