Fixed but not Solved

Users who are viewing this thread

anaparaschiv

Reaction score
I have recently replaced my bathtub stems (I believe that's what they are called). I thought this would fix the constant leak coming out of the hot water side. By replacing both sides the problem was fixed for about 48hours. Then the leak came back. Not as bad as it had been but still a leak none the less. Does this mean I have to remove the whole faucet system? Or is there some inner workings to these faucets that I do not know about?

I live in an appartment that was built in '73 and there are no individaul water shutoff valves. The next schedualled water turn off is this wed. Should I just call a proffesional or is this something simple to Solve?

Thanks,

Ana

RioHyde

Plumber
Reaction score
You've replaced the stems, but how about the seats? Could be that these are in need of replacement too. A plumbing professional could take care of that in short order for you.

Good luck

anaparaschiv

Reaction score
Thanks

By any chance are the seats easy to remove? I would rather do the work myself as it would probably cut down on costs emmensley. Would someone at Home Depot know which seats I would need by just looking at the old posts? And lastly, do I need a special tool to replace the seats?

Again, thank you!

Ana

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
brand

Since you replaced the stems you should know the faucet's brand. How about telling us which make faucet you have so we can have a better idea about what to tell you.

anaparaschiv

Reaction score
Forgetfull

Sorry, I don't know. I just brought in the old one and a gentleman handed me the new ones. All I know is that they are not very common anymore as they are about 30years old. I now realize that you can't help me without this information. I'll go home after work and then email you tomorrow with all the pertinent information.

Ana

Marrkk

Reaction score
Removing seats

Seats are usually easy to change. The hard part is finding the correct replacement. Home Depot/ Lowes are poor choices - they stock only fast movers, and the staff is not usually knowlegeable on the "innards" of fixtures. You need to go to a good local plumbing supply with an experienced staff and good supply of spare parts. Each manufacturer custom made parts for their brands -no standardization here. The number of different sizes and thread pitches used boggles the mind - most not used on anything else. The shop should have a seat thread gage to match your seat with a replacement, as well as a universal seat removal tool. They can show you how to use it. Visit them BEFORE you disassemble the fixture.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks