Fittings for filter housing

Users who are viewing this thread

ShadowAviator

Reaction score
I need to go from 1" pex to 3/4 threaded. The filter I am using has 3/4" female threads and is plastic.

I tried some brass fittings with teflon tape. I know brass and plastic don't go well together but I couldn't seem to find any pex to MIP plastic fittings that also adjusted size. I just figured I would be gentle.

Upon opening up the water supply, both fittings leaked just a little bit. I tightened both a little more, and the one side seemed to seal up. The other however still seeped slightly over time. I tightened it a little more, but didn't really have enough time to see if it still leaked tonight.

My concern is the the leakier brass fitting is tightened farther in to the plastic filter housing than the non-leaking side. Can this be normal? I am worried maybe its over tightened and the threads are damaged or something.

Should I redo it, and try to go with all plastic connections?

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
Over tightening these tapered fittings could crack the filter housing inlets. If the leak is a little more than a drop or two per minute, let it sit for a few days. Sometimes the minerals in the water will seal up these tiny leaks. Just place a pail under it. If it is more than a few drops and you are not comfortable with it use some pipe dope but only a dab or two on the outside edge of the threaded fitting. You do not want the pipe dope to touch the potable water.

ShadowAviator

Reaction score
Its pretty slow now. Probably in that drop or two per minute range. I guess I will just keep an eye on it and see what happens. If it keeps seeping after a few days, I will pull it apart and redo it with dope. I will also inspect the filter inlets for damage, too.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks