Fitting question

Users who are viewing this thread

TerryO

Reaction score
Hi, I have a 3" horizontal drain from the WC that I need to connect to the horizontal main line that's perpendicular to it and sits just below it. Thinking of three options for the fittings:

1) 90 to san tee
2) tie into a rotated combo
3) none of the above

What's my best route? Trying to keep it as simple as possible. Thanks.

Last edited:

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
The answer depends quite a bit on the exact height difference between the two horizontal lines. So:

1) Not allowed, a san-tee can only have drainage into the side entry when the straight path is vertical (meaning at most 45 degrees from plumb). You could use a quarter bend into an upright combo if you have enough height.

2) The simple way to go as long as you have enough height difference to make a 22.5 or 45 degree elbow work. [I.e. that if you rotate the combo 22.5 and stick a street 22.5 in the side inlet, you're not already too high for the WC drain. If that would be too high, see the next answer.]

3) Other non-simple options: use a wye rolled up 45 degrees and a 60 degree elbow. Not sure if that would be higher than a combo rolled 22.5 with a 22.5 elbow. Or for subtle control with just a very slight height difference, you can use a wye, a 45 and a 22.5 and play with the angle between the two elbows, along with the amount you roll the wye. But at that point you'd typically just be better off dropping the end of the upper drain enough to allow the use of a combo with no elbows.

Cheers, Wayne

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks