Fitting pvc pipe into two fixed fitting advice?

Users who are viewing this thread

Gill87

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm currently redoing some bathroom plumbing. I've finished with the drain pipes and I'm currently on the venting part. It already has venting in place that looks good so I'm going to use that. My question/problem is that I need to fit the 1.5" pvc pipe between my drain pipe to the pre-existing vent and they're both fixed or have no really movement to them. Picture attached is a rough example.

Is there aome technique to get the piece that I'm not seeing? I know they have to bottom out so I can't just cut them a little bit shorter right?

If there is no real technique to get the piece in then is my next step gluing two smaller pieces on the fittings and then using a slip coupling?

Thanks!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230215_154046.jpg
    Screenshot_20230215_154046.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 80

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
If you haven't glued the top 90 and have clearance to make it up last, the vertical riser should be flexible enough that you can pull it away from the upper horizontal. That should let you make up both glue joints on the 90 at the same time. You only need to be able to pull it away by the depth of the hub, which IIRC is 5/8".

Easiest way is to install the 1.5" riser last is as 3 pieces with 2 banded rubber couplings (Proflex 3000-150 or Mission CP-150). One piece to glue into each hub, and the 3rd piece is made to length about 3/8" shorter than the gap. The rubber couplings have an 1/8" stop in the middle, and 3/16" gap on each end gives you a little play. Slide the rubber couplings over the fixed ends, fold the rubber back over itself on each of them, and slip the 3rd into place. Unfold the rubber, install the shields, tighten.

If the riser is longer enough that you can get 2" or more of lateral displacement in the middle, you could do it with 2 pieces and one rubber coupling. You need that lateral displacement to glue in the second piece, since you need to slide it up or down into the hub, with just a small gap between ends (3/16") after gluing. The rubber coupling has to go on before gluing the second piece.

Cheers, Wayne

Gill87

Reaction score
If you haven't glued the top 90 and have clearance to make it up last, the vertical riser should be flexible enough that you can pull it away from the upper horizontal. That should let you make up both glue joints on the 90 at the same time. You only need to be able to pull it away by the depth of the hub, which IIRC is 5/8".

Easiest way is to install the 1.5" riser last is as 3 pieces with 2 banded rubber couplings (Proflex 3000-150 or Mission CP-150). One piece to glue into each hub, and the 3rd piece is made to length about 3/8" shorter than the gap. The rubber couplings have an 1/8" stop in the middle, and 3/16" gap on each end gives you a little play. Slide the rubber couplings over the fixed ends, fold the rubber back over itself on each of them, and slip the 3rd into place. Unfold the rubber, install the shields, tighten.

If the riser is longer enough that you can get 2" or more of lateral displacement in the middle, you could do it with 2 pieces and one rubber coupling. You need that lateral displacement to glue in the second piece, since you need to slide it up or down into the hub, with just a small gap between ends (3/16") after gluing. The rubber coupling has to go on before gluing the second piece.

Cheers, Wayne
Thank you for that information I appreciate it.
For my curiosity regarding the rubber coupling, why it wouldn't work with a slip coupling or is that not allowed?

Thanks.

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
For my curiosity regarding the rubber coupling, why it wouldn't work with a slip coupling or is that not allowed?
Oh, you can use a slip PVC coupling instead, they are just much harder to use. You can only apply the solvent cement to one surface, and you just get one shot to get it in the right place, and the glue may start to grab and fight you.

The comments about number of couplings would still apply.

Cheers, Wayne

Gill87

Reaction score
Oh, you can use a slip PVC coupling instead, they are just much harder to use. You can only apply the solvent cement to one surface, and you just get one shot to get it in the right place, and the glue may start to grab and fight you.

The comments about number of couplings would still apply.

Cheers, Wayne
I'm hoping I have enough displacement for just needing one, I'll find out tonight.

Thanks Wayne!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks