Users who are viewing this thread

Quinzzy Pratt

Reaction score
Hello all, I've found myself in a fairly desperate situation where I need to finish two bathroom ASAP and don't have the 5-8k to pay some one. I am beyond handy and feel comfortable and confident getting it done but I am stuck. The current bathroom that I'm working on has been gutted down to sub floor and some drywall. I bought a Mirabelle Tub that's 60X30. The tub says you need a mortar bed under it which is expected for an Acrylic tub. So, I test fit the tub and its leveled from side to side (width) but, front to back (length) its a much different story. Its out of level by more that 3/4 over 5 ft. What am I supposed to do with this? Its a left hand tub and the high side is opposite the drain. Should I try and allow the mortar to bring up the front to match. If you can see the pic I provided, this is a 3/4 piece of wood that when places under the front raises the tub to be almost level. I'm thinking you don't want shims that huge under a tub. Do I try and use some sort of floor leveling? If you notice the level, its with the 3/4 piece of wood holding up the front.

Please help with expertise responses.

Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_3409.jpg
    IMG_3409.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 377
  • IMG_3410.jpg
    IMG_3410.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 364
  • IMG_3412.jpg
    IMG_3412.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 365
  • IMG_3413.jpg
    IMG_3413.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 380
  • IMG_3415.jpg
    IMG_3415.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 390
  • IMG_3411.jpg
    IMG_3411.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 396

Reach4

Reaction score
Do not use a mortar bed, at least the way I would picture a bed. Search this forum for
Piles.png

Reach4

Reaction score
See that search box up top right? Search for that word for prior discussions. Based on your post, this thread will now be one of the results. Better yet, add the word "mortar" to the search.

I am not a pro, and I have no relevant experience. But the search will turn up posts of experienced pros.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
A mortar bed is a bit misleading. The tub isn't level on the bottom and either is the floor. It would be sheer luck if you could put mortar under that tub that fit as you wanted it.
What we do is, install a stringer on the back wall that the tub sits level on, and then place the shim on the apron to hold that side level.
Depending on the space you're working with under the tub, drop some mortar down in places, some people would call them piles of mortar. When the tub is dropped over these piles of mortar, they squish out and match the tub and the floor. Too much mortar under the tub and it won't sit down far enough. It has to be when the mortar is wet and able to squish out fluidly. If it starts to set, you need to start over.

Been there, done that. :)

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Laying a piece of plastic on the floor prior to the mortar will help prevent the subflooring from sucking moisture out of the mix, and actually slow down the process a bit, creating a stronger mix once cured. Some put another layer on top of the mortar piles. Done that way, when it comes time to remodel again, it all comes up fairly easily. Or, if you mess up, you won't be scraping cured mortar off of everything when you then try again.

Reach4

Reaction score
As an alternative or supplement to the plastic sheets, mortar blobs could be in individual plastic bags.

Quinzzy Pratt

Reaction score
A mortar bed is a bit misleading. The tub isn't level on the bottom and either is the floor. It would be sheer luck if you could put mortar under that tub that fit as you wanted it.
What we do is, install a stringer on the back wall that the tub sits level on, and then place the shim on the apron to hold that side level.
Depending on the space you're working with under the tub, drop some mortar down in places, some people would call them piles of mortar. When the tub is dropped over these piles of mortar, they squish out and match the tub and the floor. Too much mortar under the tub and it won't sit down far enough. It has to be when the mortar is wet and able to squish out fluidly. If it starts to set, you need to start over.

Been there, done that. :)

Thanks for the reply. I have a couple additional questions.

the manufacture is asking me to place stringers on all 3 sides the tub, is this usual? I’ve only seen them on the back wall. The long run of a standard alcove tub install. They asked me to put in 1by4 for the stringer. My next question is if I shim the tub exactly where I want it then place the stringers then mortor I should only be getting the tub back aligned as it was dry fitted with the stringers in place or what is the correct order to this?

My best guess is get the tub level first, then put in the stringers on all 3 sides making sure it’s still level then pulling the tub and putting in the mortor then squish the tub around until it’s back level resting on the stringers?????

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
My best guess is get the tub level first, then put in the stringers on all 3 sides making sure it’s still level then pulling the tub and putting in the mortor then squish the tub around until it’s back level resting on the stringers?????

- Yes

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks