First time in 16 years forgot to unhook outside hoses and turn water supply off

Users who are viewing this thread

Number11

Reaction score
Looking for advice.

We have had below freezing temps for the past week and I just realized I forgot to disconnect my hoses and shut off the inside water supply to each spigot. I have turned both inside supply lines closed and disconnected the hose in the back of the house and actually cut the rubber hose close to the spigot in the front as I could not unscrew the hose. Both outside faucets show ice in the spigot. Should I open each outside spigot all the way so it drains when it warms up? Or would this create more issues? The spigot in the front of the house is not frost proof although I believe the one in the back is.

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• spigot front.jpg
    spigot front.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 827

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If you have inside shutoffs and have turned them off, you can open the outside bibs.
Without the inside shutoffs, you would need to keep them closed.

Reach4

Reaction score
In addition, you may consider something like this:
6a47fc21-f2ab-43e3-8a55-70ac33744c90_300.jpg

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Can you get warm air to the pipe? You might get lucky and thaw the pipe before it breaks. Might want to consider frost proof faucets in the future.

Reach4

Reaction score
Thanks for motivating us to not forget.

I also would open the outside taps. It could give ice somewhere to expand to even before the thaw, if the damage has not already been done. Ice can creep under pressure if there is a place to expand to.
milk-bottles_1773605i.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks