First floor condo. Can garbage disposal waste actually go up a pipe?

Users who are viewing this thread

qimuala niq

Reaction score
Sorry for the newbie question.

I am in a first floor condo, and there was a clog in the pipe causing flooding in my kitchen. A plumber came out and unclogged it, we paid for it, but now we are trying to figure out if the upstairs neighbor should be sharing the cost.

They are claiming that it was us, but we think it had to be them because the clog was in the pipe, above our kitchen. Is there any way it could have been caused by a clog below our sink, which then backed up higher into the pipe? I don't see how. My common sense tells me that garbage disposal waste flows down, but I want to understand better if there is any chance it could be us.

Thanks for your thoughts.
ahand_sos.gif

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
The last I checked drain water still flows downhill because of gravity. If the only clog was above you it's a no brainer. You were probably in a jam and had to get it fixed fast but the condo management company should have taken care of it and they would then bill accordingly if it was determined not to be common property.

The issue here is where was the water coming from? A clogged pipe above should not have water leak down unless a toilet, sink or tub overflows onto the floor above, or the drain pipe for the washing machine backed up and onto the floor. The second floor users had to notice something! Clogged drain pipes do not leak inside walls or ceilings. Is there a third floor to consider?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
How many floors?
Anybody above you would also be responsible for a backup in the line. The clog is below your sink line, which is also handling all of the floors above you. You just happen to be where the water overflows. They will be sharing the bill for that. Or just for a joke, how about capping the line from above and let them figure it out.
banghead.gif

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks