Firring strips

Users who are viewing this thread

Lgregg33

Reaction score
I recently installed a 60 inch alcove tub in a bathroom at my home. I’m not a professional but am capable for the job. The framing for the tub was 60 inches so the tub is a nice fit, less some shimming. The tub has an integrated flange that is 1/4 inch thick. I intend to use 1/2 inch hydro ban board by Laticrete as my waterproofing material of choice. Laticrete says to accommodate the tub flange I must for out the walls. On a three wall alcove, I can do that without issue on the back wall as that wall is bot in plane with any other wall. In my case, the other two walls are in plane with the two shower walls. So, if I fir out the shower walls the required 1/4 inch so my hydro ban board sits over top of the flange, my shower walls are now 1/4 more proud of the half inch drywall throughout the rest of the bathroom. I cannot figure out how to make my situation work, or how I would “cover up,” the unsightly proud backer board. I’ve considered rabbet cutting/notching the backer board on the backside to accommodate the thickness of the flange, but was unsure if that is the best method. Please, any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Lgregg33

Reaction score
Why can't you notch the back of the backer board?
Great question. I had a chat conversation with someone from Laticrete and they said that was not possible. Called again and actually spoke with someone and they said notching was possible. I will be slightly notching out the back of my backer board in order to make my install happen. Thanks for the response

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks