Firomatic valve on new tank.

Users who are viewing this thread

JohnCT

Still learning..slowly
Reaction score
Hi all, I'm replacing my heating oil tank this weekend, and was looking at different options for installing the firomatic valve. The new tank has a 1/2" NPT on the bottom, and my plan was to buy this and thread the new filter housing directly into it:

firomatic.jpg

This has the 1/2" NPT for the tank and the 3/8" NPT out which would fit the filter and would certainly simplify the install, but I've been reading that a lot of guys put a ball valve in front of it in case this valve leaks or fails closed. Is this common? I've never seen a firomatic valve fail but I'm not a pro either. If this valve fails, it would be a pain in the caboose to replace with any oil in the tank. A ball valve would isolate it but I'd have to use more fittings and a straight through firomatic.

If this was your install, how would you plumb in the firomatic valve? If you would add a ball valve, what fittings would you use to simplify the install. Thanks.

John

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks