Fireblocking and speaker wire conduit

Users who are viewing this thread

theaggie

Reaction score
I am putting a HT in my basement and am planning on mounting my surround speakers and wall sconces to rectangular columns along the side of the room. I would like to run some sort of inexpensive conduit to them so that I can change the speaker wire later if I need to.

I've attached a floor plan and a rendering of what it will look like if that helps.

Here is the question...

Fire code requires that I fireblock between any concealed vertical space and an concealed horizontal (ceiling) space and seal with fire caulk anything that penetrates that fireblock. The 2x4 top plate or 1/2" sheet rock qualifies as a fireblock but what do I do about the conduit? Do I have to install an electrical box for the speaker and hard mount the conduit into that? That would men using metal boxes and metal conduit! YUCK!

Note: The same issue would apply to speakers on the walls if you try to run the conduit into the ceiling.

Normal PVC water/sewer pipe is legal but I suppose that is because the ends are never open as would be needed for a wire conduit.

Any opinions/ideas?

Attachments

• BasementPlan2b.jpg
    BasementPlan2b.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 990
  • Theater_FromStairs2a.jpg
    Theater_FromStairs2a.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 1,037

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You can call your inspector and ask,
I have seen plenty of pipes and wires going through fire blocking.
In some commercial spaces, they like to see metal.
In most homes, it hasn't been required.
I could be wrong though.

Bob's HandyGuy

Reaction score
I've done a lot of cable runs, phone, computer, CTV, etc. and never used conduit. In commercial buildings, wires are usually draped along the girders with hooks. The wall connection does not need a workbox, just a drywall flange to attach the faceplate and jacks. If you need to change one out, you tie the new one to old one and pull it through.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks