Fireblocking and speaker wire conduit

Discussion in 'Remodel Forum & Blog' started by theaggie, Jan 30, 2005.

  1. theaggie

    theaggie New Member

    Nov 17, 2004
    Embedded Software and Machine Control
    Western Connecticut
    I am putting a HT in my basement and am planning on mounting my surround speakers and wall sconces to rectangular columns along the side of the room. I would like to run some sort of inexpensive conduit to them so that I can change the speaker wire later if I need to.

    I've attached a floor plan and a rendering of what it will look like if that helps.

    Here is the question...

    Fire code requires that I fireblock between any concealed vertical space and an concealed horizontal (ceiling) space and seal with fire caulk anything that penetrates that fireblock. The 2x4 top plate or 1/2" sheet rock qualifies as a fireblock but what do I do about the conduit? Do I have to install an electrical box for the speaker and hard mount the conduit into that? That would men using metal boxes and metal conduit! YUCK!

    Note: The same issue would apply to speakers on the walls if you try to run the conduit into the ceiling.

    Normal PVC water/sewer pipe is legal but I suppose that is because the ends are never open as would be needed for a wire conduit.

    Any opinions/ideas?

    Attached Files:

  2. Terry

    Terry Administrator Staff Member

    Aug 17, 2004
    Bothell, Washington
    You can call your inspector and ask,
    I have seen plenty of pipes and wires going through fire blocking.
    In some commercial spaces, they like to see metal.
    In most homes, it hasn't been required.
    I could be wrong though.
  3. Sponsor

    Sponsor Paid Advertisement

  4. Bob's HandyGuy

    Bob's HandyGuy Senior Member

    Sep 10, 2004
    I've done a lot of cable runs, phone, computer, CTV, etc. and never used conduit. In commercial buildings, wires are usually draped along the girders with hooks. The wall connection does not need a workbox, just a drywall flange to attach the faceplate and jacks. If you need to change one out, you tie the new one to old one and pull it through.
Similar Threads: Fireblocking speaker
Forum Title Date
Remodel Forum & Blog In Wall/Ceiling Speakers? Feb 1, 2008
Remodel Forum & Blog splitting speakers Dec 28, 2007

Share This Page