fire resistant plumbing vent?

Users who are viewing this thread

VinceBlue

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I need your help. I don't really know how to explain the problem and my first language is French, please be indulgent. :)

I live in Quebec. My house is the first unit of a 3 unit townhouse. My two neighbor's plumbing vent are hooked on my stack vent. (please see illustration below)

Each unit is separated by a 1 hour rated fire resistant wall. The problem is that in the attic, although the walls are constructed to be fire resistant, holes were cut in them in order to pass the plumbing vent for the other 2 units making the walls not fire resistant. :rolleyes:

My question is: does the code allow the installation of a horizontal self-closing fire resistant vent apparatus (I don't know how to call that "thing.") between my 1st neighbor and me? Does that "thing" exists?

Thanks everyone!

Vince
attic.jpg

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
Most often, metal...most often cast iron pipe is used in fire resistant construction, and then fire caulk finishes the seal.
That is how a fire resistant assembly is done.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
There are special collars that can be installed in the hole that the pipe will pass through. The collar will expand and close the hole if there's a fire and the pipe is pulled out.

But generally you'd use cast iron to pass through the hole and normal fire caulking.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
We were working in a commercial strip mall and the fire walls had been badly damaged without any repairs over the years. The contractor we were working for made complete repair of the fire wall between our client and the rest of the building. We were coming to work on Monday and the entire building was burned to the ground except for the part that had been protected by the fire wall.

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
FWIW, the OP needs to check the applicable building code. I believe there are situations in which zero penetrations are allowed, in which case the correct solution is to have 3 separate roof penetrations and to fully repair the firewall penetrations.

Cheers, Wayne

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks