Finishing my basement!

Users who are viewing this thread

Greg Ewanchuk

Reaction score
Hi folks, this is my first time posting but I've used the site before for a bathroom gut and refinish and let me tell you, you guys are very appreciated! THANK YOU!! It went so smooth having this resource.

That being said I'm in a new house now and I got pretty lucky on this one. The builder roughed in the basement bathroom and even vented it separately (I thought I was going to have to tie into the bathroom on the main floor- very relieved I don't have to). So, I had to relocate the shower drain to accommodate my larger shower plans which began my plumbing permit journey.
I'm in the process of drawing up my plans and wanted to double check with the experts what the best bet would be. Here's my current situation:
basement rough in.png

To begin with, I'm curious how this all ties together under the slab (just for my own OCD reasons). I assume the vent and shower tie into the 4" toilet drain with separate 4 x 4 x 2 Y fittings? (or a combo Y?) After that the toilet must tie directly into the main drain with a 4 x 4 x 4 Y fitting. Make sense?

Here are some more of my assumptions that I'd really appreciate confirmation on.
-If I turn that 2 x 2 x 1-1/2 sanitary tee towards the far wall and run my vanity/sink in the corner I think I'd be too far away from the vent and would need to run a vertical 1-1/2 pipe up from the sink and tie in to the vent above the overflow line of the sink. It would be about a 5 or 6 foot run. Are fernco fittings the typical way to tie in the new fittings on existing pipe?

-If my vanity and sink are in the corner (facing us) the cleanest way to route the drain would be to run it around the corner and come into the sink from the back wall. To go around that corner I'd need a long sweep 90. How do you frame around that? A 60% hole in a 2 x 4 is about 2-1/8". Is that big enough for the OD of the fitting? I've drawn this in sketchup and it's very tight and it doesn't look like I'll have a nailing surface for my drywall in the corner.

-In this situation the toilet and shower are wet vented for a short span correct? I believe that's accepted by Alberta code. Let me know if I'm wrong.

I've done a lot of reading and have a basic understanding of the requirements but it's difficult to apply those in certain situations. It's extremely interesting. I'm really enjoying learning it. Appreciate all your help enormously!
Greg - Edmonton, AB

Greg Ewanchuk

Reaction score
Oh, almost forgot the supply line problem. My home run Pex manifolds are full. They don't have the caps that would allow for expansion. I could tee into the 1/2 kitchen lines which are pretty close to this bathroom but that goes against the design of the house and isn't my best option for even water pressure, etc. Is there a trade secret for adding lines to a full manifold? I can't seem to find anything on google. I'm hoping I don't need to replace the manifolds with larger ones.
Thanks,
Greg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks