Fine thread CPVC supply line? Connecting a water softener to it. pics

Users who are viewing this thread

FM1

Reaction score
I'm just trying to connect typical 1" PVC water softener connections to the fine-thread male CVPC fitting at the wall.
But this fine-thread fitting is a surprise.

I've searched the internet for the part numbers off the CPVC fitting(s) and nothing similar comes up.

On the wall are the in and out CPVC pipes for a water softener that used to be there long ago.
The right side pipe still has the threaded coupler adapter on it that was used with the old softener.

That adapter is apparently 1" (fine thread) on the wall side to 3/4" (normal thread) on the to-the-softener side.
Pretty sure it was all cpvc/pvc from that to the old water softener.
The adapter seems irrelevant to me since all I'd like to do is connect a flexible stainless braided or corrugated line from the male threaded wall fitting to the water softener fitting.

But the CPVC male fitting is a fine thread and making me feel dumb.
Is that fitting a common thread? Doesn't seem like it. Not for this type of pipe anyway.
I thought about just re-using those weird adapter fittings, but the one I removed has messed up threads on one side. I can't find any adapter fitting like them.

IMG_20220311_162634941[1].jpg
IMG_20220311_162527590[1].jpg
IMG_20220311_162434715[1].jpg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The third picture looks like you have a union, which has it's own threading, not pipe threading at all.
A water heater supply line typically uses standard 3/4" pipe threading on the ends.

cpvc-male-adapter-terrylove.jpg

A male adapter for CPVC to 3/4" MIP threads.

Reactions: FM1

FM1

Reaction score
Good catch. I was getting ever more tunnel vision on this and didn't think about that union area. Though now that you pointed it out, it makes things even stranger.

It's good to know I'm not crazy in not being able to find that type of thread on PVC.
And after making the first post I realized I could have left out a lot of other things and just posted that one picture and asked if those threads are somehow normal. haha

Now planning on doing what I should have done in the first place and cut that 90-degree fitting and weird stuff off and glue a fitting with a common threaded end on. And then corrugated flexible line, and done. Thanks for the sanity check.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks