Finding Sink Vent

Users who are viewing this thread

AlGreen

Reaction score
In another thread, I noted that a plumber who checked out the gurgling in my second floor bathroom sink said he didn't think it was vented. He didn't use a camera, but instead stuck a screw driver in the space around where the drain pipe enters the wall (inside the vanity) and felt for a vent pipe branching off. He didn't feel anything and came to his conclusion.

Now before I go ahead and try to somehow hook up an AAV to the horizontal pipe after the P trap, is there any way to confirm that the sink is unvented - besides having amother plumber come in with a camera?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Feel inside the opening. IF the pipe turns down, there is no vent, if it turns sideways there probably is a vent but no way to tell for sure. The pipe may be to small for a camera to be inserted.

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
If you can feel the pipe turning down in the wall with a 90 and not a tee then it's not vented. If it is turning horizontal then there is a good chance it is vented.

AlGreen

Reaction score
Thanks. Best I can tell by feeling with a screwdriver, the pipe takes an immediate 90 degree turn down. So no venting.

Can an AAV even be installed in the space I have, which is only about 3 inches from the P trap to the wall?

20170112_212800.jpg

AlGreen

Reaction score
To make room for an AAV, you would 45 out from the all, add a tee, and then come back and pick up the lav.

Thanks Terry. So pick up a 45 degree elbow to attach to the wall, add a sanitary tee to that for the AAV, and then another elbow to hook back to the P trap? Trying to make sure I'm visualizing this correctly.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Something like that. The p-trap has some swing to it though.
I would use street 45's to reduce the length of the fittings.

lav-45-drain.jpg

Something I saw in a restaurant bathroom.

Question, is it galvanized pipe coming out of the wall on yours? That might makes things more interesting. If it's 1-1/4 the fittings are a little harder to come by. And you will need to thread on there somehow.

AlGreen

Reaction score
It's a circa 1926 home, so I'm guessing it is galvanized, though I don't know the size. A fitting of some kind is currently threaded in there. Hmmm...

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
It's a circa 1926 home, so I'm guessing it is galvanized, though I don't know the size. A fitting of some kind is currently threaded in there. Hmmm...

It may be 1-1/4" if it's a lav drain. It looks like someone spun a new pipe nipple in there recently.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks