Finally! The differences between the 528 and the 528T !

Users who are viewing this thread

Lee_Leses

Reaction score
Hi:

It sure seems like I finally solved the problem. I was overly fearful of the tank seal and the supply line seal because I find especially with plumbing too many times Murphy's law applies!

The valve definately shuts off now and is not leaking underneath.

Is it normal for a small amount of water to fall from the top of the valve when the tank is filling? It's not spraying all over, just a small stream of water falls from the cap area then it stops as the tank continues to fill. And the valve is shutting off fully.

I still have a few questions about the plastic and rubber materials that they use to make these valves, but I'm supposed to talk to a Korky rep. next week to discuss those questions. He actually e-mailed me and asked if I wanted to talk about it.

The gears in my head continue to turn. Now I want to find a way to screw a hose to the bottom of the defective fill tube and stop up the top, and see if I can find water coming out of any tiny holes or cracks...

PS - Thanks for editing Terry. You're just awesome!!!

Probedude

Reaction score
Is it normal for a small amount of water to fall from the top of the valve when the tank is filling? It's not spraying all over, just a small stream of water falls from the cap area then it stops as the tank continues to fill. And the valve is shutting off fully.

yes, perfectly normal. It's coming from that port that gets sealed by the rubber disc.

If you want to figure out something cool, take your old valve and draw on a piece of paper an x-ray view of the guts, especially the tube, the top of the tube, the diaphragm and that port that the float seals off. Then figure out how the valve works at all. That's cool!

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
It is very easy to cross thread the flex supply to the bottom of the fill valve.
Once is has been cross threaded, it's sometimes easier to just replace the flex connector.

No Teflon tape should be used.

Lee_Leses

Reaction score
Thank you both! Yes Probedude, I'm embarrassed to say I still can't picture the water flow through the valve. I know it comes up the inner fill tube and out the port covered by the pilot seal. So far it eludes me what the red disk does. I know most of the water goes back down the valve body to the bottom of the valve and hits the flow restrictor. Maybe in one state water pressure is holding the red disk closed???

If I ever figure out where the old valve was leaking from, I'm going to let you know...

Lee

Probedude

Reaction score
Maybe in one state water pressure is holding the red disk closed???

If I ever figure out where the old valve was leaking from, I'm going to let you know...
Lee

Yep! Water pressure holds the disc against the top of the inner tube sealing it off. At first glance you'd wonder why the water pressure just doesn't push the disc away from the inner tube - why and how would it press against the top of the tube :)

Lee_Leses

Reaction score
Exactly. Thank you for confirming my theory.

It amazes me how simple yet how complex something like that is. So few moving parts, yet hard to picture what's going on...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks