Filtration Stack for Removing Fine Sediment/Sand

Users who are viewing this thread

Nwoodard34

Reaction score
Hey all, thanks to the awesome contributors here. I am hoping I can call on you once again to help me with my well filter stack.

We moved into a new house back in the spring that is on well water. The current setup is well ->> pump ->> pressure tank --> spindown filter --> hot water heater/rest of house.

The well is deep and no nasty bacteria or other contaminants of concern are present according to the complimentary Culligan water report we were offered when we moved in. No odor and it tastes great.

The problem is that the spindown filter does not quite get the job done for filtering out fine particles. If we are drinking from white cups, we can see fine sediment in the bottom. And all the toilet tanks have a buildup of sand (that is REALLY thick & almost like concrete) in them.

I think the solution here is to add a whole house filter after the spindown, and I have a big blue-type from Aqua Pure (AP801/AP801T) that I can easily install. Where I am looking for advice is on the micron/mesh rating that I need:

-What is the appropriate micron rating for the spindown filter? I presume a larger mesh to capture the larger particles before the whole house filter
-What is the appropriate micron rating for the whole house filter? I presume a finer mesh to capture the smaller particles after the spindown

Thanks again for all your help.

Reach4

Reaction score
For the spin down, I am not sure. I would think around 100 micron.

-What is the appropriate micron rating for the whole house filter? I presume a finer mesh to capture the smaller particles after the spindown
Somewhere between 25 and 5.

I like the PENTEK-DGD-5005-20 heavy duty filter cartridge in a Pentair Big Blue housing. It does not have a built-in bypass. That is a 20x4.5 but there are similar cartridges for smaller housings.

Last edited:

Fitter30

Reaction score
I use this element in a big blue 20" housing with no prefilter change it every six months and use Vaseline on the o-ring holds it to the housing.

Hydronix Whole House Water Sediment Filter 4.5" x 20" - 1 Micron​

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
I use this element in a big blue 20" housing with no prefilter change it every six months and use Vaseline on the o-ring holds it to the housing. From amazon
Hydronix Whole House Water Sediment Filter 4.5" x 20" - 1 Micron​
I use Molykote 111 silicone grease or #7 release compound for the o-rings. Very light coat. A 5.3 ounce tube is a lifetime supply.

So is vaseline OK? I think the o-rings are usually made from Buna-N (nitrile), so
https://www.marcorubber.com/o-ring-chemical-compatibility-chart.htm#chemId=2130 says OK.

Silicone grease has a similar chart that shows it is compatible with more materials with the exception of silicone o-rings.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks