Filtration - DI water

Users who are viewing this thread

Sdsvtdriver

Reaction score
Less water softener related and more water quality - best forum here to place this it seems, but mods please move if necessary.

I've had a spotless water system for car washing for a decade. I've been buying resin by the cu. f.t and replacing as necessary - last bag I bought was Jan 2020 and it was still half unused as of last weekend. Today I learned that DI resin ages out in storage. The last bag I bought didn't reseal well and after replacing parts of my spotless system searching for the cause, I've come to the conclusion the resin went bad. The TDS of post resin water is 2x the amount of water from the tap feeding the spotless system. Expensive lesson as the bag was still half full. If I continue down this road, I need a better way to seal the dry resin in storage.

My friend rents a tank from a local service. 14" tank with 3.6 cu.ft. of regenerated resin for $15/mo. Looking at the price of resin rising to about ~$230/cu.ft., I'm considering just ditching the spotless system and renting a tank instead. He's had his tank for over a year and uses it from start to finish as he has no bypass set up where I only use mine for rinsing, but my system has far less resin in the tanks.

Any reason against using regenerated DI resin for car washing?

Treeman

Reaction score
I cannot imagine any reason it would not be suitable for use washing cars. I'm no DI expert, but we rent Culligan DI tanks at my workplace greehouses for about $25 per month and they last about 5 months before change out. They have a "glow light" on the tank that tells us when they are used up. We monitor the water with a Myron L conductivity meter and it is extraordinarily "clean".

I suppose you need to do a cost analysis of which method is most cost effective. There may be a service charge when they change out the tanks. We do get some pressure drop through the tanks, so inquire about that to make sure it will not affect your needs.

Sdsvtdriver

Reaction score
Thanks. I'm leaning towards keeping what I got. I think it is cheaper in the long run and it's on wheels so I can move it around the house to clean the windows. I found out the rental tank my friend has is 300lbs. so window washing would be a bit more challenging.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks