Filtering after a backwashing Activated Carbon Filter?

Users who are viewing this thread

Zenon2cubed

Reaction score
I'm updating my water supply system.
Currently I have:
Pleated Sediment Filter -> Water Softener

The sediment filter doesn't generally capture too much, but I'm thinking it should be there anyway. Thoughts?

I'm adding an AIO Catalytic Carbon filter primarily to remove potential VOC's (a few miles from me there is TCE in the water table) but also to address the low level iron present (0.5 ppm).

The new layout is:
BB Pleated Sediment Filter -> AIO Catalytic Carbon Filter -> Water Softener

I'm wondering now if I should add another Big Blue between the Catalytic Carbon Filter and the Water Softener to catch carbon fines. Thoughts?

Thanks

Reach4

Reaction score
I'm wondering now if I should add another Big Blue between the Catalytic Carbon Filter and the Water Softener to catch carbon fines. Thoughts?
I think so. Also catches resin bead particles. Make that last filter finer than the first.

You want the first one to be low pressure drop, to support the backwashing gpm needed for the carbon, which is higher than the backwashing gpm for the softener.

Drick

In the Trades
Reaction score
I think so. Also catches resin bead particles.

I have a carbon filter and agree with this. I had a piece of carbon make its way up into the shower mixing valve on the second floor. I ended up having to replace the mixing valve cartridge. Personally I'd just move the big blue you have now after the carbon filter.

-rick

Zenon2cubed

Reaction score
The Big Blue I bought takes 10" long filters, has 1" NPTF connections and I've bought a 50 micron pleated filter.
Is this too much of a restriction? I run my pressure at 55-80 PSI.

The AIO Catalytic Carbon filter is 1.5 cu-ft with a Fleck 5800 SXT head, 3/4" connections.
The Softener is 2.0 cu-ft with a Fleck 5810 SXT (supply chain shortages on the 5800 SXT at the moment), this will get reduced down to 1".

I currently have an under-sink size housing with a 30 micron pleated filter, it generally runs pretty clean, but I do see visible sediment from time to time, I figured these large particles might abrade or get caught in one of the control valves. Is this incoming filter necessary?
I was thinking the Catalytic Carbon filter might fill the water softener with fines, is that not a concern?
I hear what you're saying about aerators and mixing valves Rick, what size/type of filter did you go with to prevent this from reoccurring?

I'm not trying to cheap out. I'm redoing all the filtration and I want it to be right.

Zenon2cubed

Reaction score
What do you think if I put in a 1" Rusco spin-down filter with 60 mesh (254 micron) upstream of the AIO Catalytic Carbon filter and put the Big Blue downstream of the water softener ?
Is the 60 mesh spin-down fine enough to protect the Fleck valves?
Is 50 micron the right size to capture carbon fines and resin beads?
thx

Drick

In the Trades
Reaction score
The Big Blue I bought takes 10" long filters, has 1" NPTF connections and I've bought a 50 micron pleated filter.
Is this too much of a restriction? I run my pressure at 55-80 PSI.

I currently have an under-sink size housing with a 30 micron pleated filter, it generally runs pretty clean, but I do see visible sediment from time to time, I figured these large particles might abrade or get caught in one of the control valves. Is this incoming filter necessary?
I was thinking the Catalytic Carbon filter might fill the water softener with fines, is that not a concern?
I hear what you're saying about aerators and mixing valves Rick, what size/type of filter did you go with to prevent this from reoccurring?

I added a 10" housing with a 30 micron sediment filter after my Catalytic Carbon filter. It stays fairly clean, but it does occasionally pick up carbon particles, especially after re-bedding or disturbing the carbon filter. Since adding the filter I haven't had any problems with filter material making its way through to the mixing valves or aerators.

After thinking about it if the 50 micron filter protecting the control valves isn't causing an undesirable flow reduction and you are getting acceptable life out of the filter cartridge I'd consider leaving it. I have a Fleck 2510 control valve on my catalytic carbon filter and another 2510 on my Filox filter. There are no other filters in front of them and they have been that way for 15 years. That being said the Fleck 2510 valve assembly is made up of multiple rubber gaskets that do wear and I have had to replace them twice in that 15 years. I have very high iron ( 30ppm ) which likely contributes to an early failure of the gaskets, however the iron would fill up a 10 inch filter in a few days so placing anything in front of my Filox and Catalytic Carbon filters isn't an option for me, but assuming your control valve works the same way it may help to extend the life of the gaskets.

Zenon2cubed

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. I purchased a Rusco spin-down filter for sediment before the Carbon filter and a 5-micron element for the Big Blue housing to go after the water softener, if the 5-micron plugs up I can always go up to 50-micron I already have.

The current 30-micron pleated filter has been in place 4 months with no noticeable pressure loss and small pile of sediment accumulating in the bottom.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks