Filter or screen to eliminate course sand from irrigation system

Users who are viewing this thread

Jimmi328

Reaction score
I’m trying to clear my well of all tiny stones or course sand, about 1 mm or less in size. Is there some type of screen/filter I can place at the top of the casing and before the check valve? Is there a removable screen for cleaning every few months?

This well that has not been used in many years. Going by the advice of a local pump repair company, I bought a trash pump with a 2 inch inlet/outlet to match the 2 inch well casing. This pump will fill a 5 gallon bucket in about 4 seconds. For the past few days, I’ve let in run for about 2 hours each day and also did many start and stops. The well is looking cleaner, but still brings up a few tiny stones. I think these tiny stones would clog up irrigation sprinklers. Also, the pump repair company said these tiny stones are what’s causing my new brass check valve to get stuck in an open position.

Thanks in advanced,

Jim

Reach4

Reaction score
Shallow well (pump is not down the well, and only one pipe goes to the well)?

You would need to make sure the pump would shut off, even if the filter became clogged. There are devices that could turn off your pump under those conditions.

Last edited:

Jimmi328

Reaction score
Shallow well (pump is not down the well, and only one pipe goes to the well)?

Yes, this is a shallow well. I have a 220 volt, 1.5 HP external pump but currently using a gasoline trash pump (much more pull) in an attempt to clear this well.

A few weeks ago, I did the fishing string, bobber and weight thing and the string measured 70 feet.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
You can use a Y-strainer with about a 20 mesh screen. But when it becomes clogged with rocks it will starve your pump for water. Maybe a low pressure cut-off or a low amperage safety like a Cycle Sensor would prevent melting the pump.

Boycedrilling

In the Trades
Reaction score
You're pumping your well at about 75 gpm. That means the velocity of the water in your 2" casing is about 7 feet per second. It will probably never clear up at that pumping rate. Throttle your gas pump down to what your 1.5 hp electric pump will do, probably 20-25 gpm? You've probably got clean sand free water at that pumping rate.

Jimmi328

Reaction score
You're pumping your well at about 75 gpm. That means the velocity of the water in your 2" casing is about 7 feet per second. It will probably never clear up at that pumping rate. Throttle your gas pump down to what your 1.5 hp electric pump will do, probably 20-25 gpm? You've probably got clean sand free water at that pumping rate.

Ahh, good suggestion, I'll try that, thank you.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks