Filter before shallow well pump?

Users who are viewing this thread

cstamm81

Reaction score
Long time reader, first post. Great site by the way.
Anyway, I have a shallow well with a Goulds J5s shallow well jet pump. I have a single 1" black well pipe coming from the well to the pump in my basement, bladder tank and a sediment filter. It seems my well casing is breaking down (according to a well driller) lots of orange - brown gunk in my filter and inside the pump. I partially disassembled and cleaned my pump about two years ago, and got a bit more pressure.
Is there such a thing as a pre filter, installed before the pump? If I could keep this crap out of my pump I could achieve higher pressure. I know I would be much better served having a new well drilled with a submersible pump, funds just aren't there yet. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
You don't want a filter on the suction side of a pump. The restriction will cause too much NPSH for the pump to work. A 20 mesh screen is about as good a filter as you can use on a suction, and even that can get clogged and cause problems.

Orange and brown gunk sounds like iron bacteria. You maybe able to clean it in the well with something like the Sulfur Eliminator. Then you would not need a filter.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks