Filling the pool makes the toilets not shut off and overflow?

Users who are viewing this thread

Archimedes

Reaction score
Hi everyone. Kind of an unusual problem here. Should filling a swimming pool make the toilets in my house not shut off?
Here's what happened: I was filling my pool so I put the garden hose in, turned the water on, walked away (obviously this decreases the water pressure in the house). I left the house, came back at night, and found the cesspool overflowing (yikes)! When I checked, I found one of my toilets was not shut off, even though the float was fully raised and the flapper sealed, the water was just flowing through the fill tube. I tried flushing a few times to make sure something wasn't jammed somehow, but each time the float went up, but the water kept coming through the fill. I thought something had managed to break and I would need a new fill valve, but out of curiosity, I turned the pool water off, and the toilet fill immediately shut of. Now I was really curious. I turned the pool back on, tried this in another bathroom, and had the same thing happen. Tried again in the original one, same problem. So when the pool was being filled, the water would not shut off in the toilets.
Ok, so now I am very confused. Even though the float was raised (which I thought would shut off the water), and the flapper sealed, water kept coming through the fill tube. It definitely was somehow controlled by the garden hose being on in the bottom of the pool. So somehow lack of pressure in the house, or some sort of siphon effect. But does this make any sense to anyone? I could replace the insides of the toilets, but they work fine when the hose isn't on, which makes me think it's something else.
I guess what I'm asking is, can anyone explain why they wont shut off? Thanks!

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
worn ball cocks you might try filling pool with valve throttled back so it fills slower but ball cock must be worn out

Reach4

Reaction score
Some fill valves have a replicable seal. If yours is one of those, consider replacing the seal. If the problem persists, replace the fill valve.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks