Fill and expansion tank position when using a Spirotherm quad-2

Users who are viewing this thread

Leon82

Reaction score
These are the instructions attatched. since the bottom is a dirt separator they move the fill and expansion in between the header and suction side of the boiler.

I guess my question is would this setup harm a modcon boiler?

Thanks

Attachments

• LLH.png
    LLH.png
    138.9 KB · Views: 644

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
The expansion tank is the point of zero pressure change and should be placed such that the main pump is pumping away from the tank. As far as the fill is concerned, I never use them. I fill the system manually with either a hose or my pump and as long as the system is tight, no more water should ever need to be introduced.

BadgerBoilerMN

Hydronic Heating Designer
Reaction score
Website
www.badgerboilerservice.com
The drawing is correct. On large radiant systems and older hydronic heating systems with large cast iron radiators, or any combination thereof, we always install a full-time fill valve since callbacks to top-off low pressure sensors wastes time and money.

But then, we are licensed plumbers and not afraid of pressurized hydraulic systems. If you think you have a leak, you can always shut the fill valve off.

Happy New Year!

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
Has nothing to do with fear. Has everything to do with code which now says that all vented discharges as in the vent from the required back flow preventer, must be piped by indirect waste to a trapped drain or sump, neither of which is generally available in most basements around here. This necessitates either dumping it into a pumped pit or putting it way up at ceiling level and hopefully finding a drain location with enough pitch. Therefore, it's a lot easier and less costly to eliminate it altogether. If the expansion tank is correctly sized and the system is tight you will never have a problem. I have hundreds of installations out there without feed valve and none have had issues. btw! I've been a licensed master plumber since the first year New Hampshire required a license and I'm also a certified license renewal seminar provider as well as a past member of the plumbing board and the code review board. I currently am on the mechanical licensing board.

Leon82

Reaction score
Thanks guys.
I've been thinking about pumping it full of distilled water to maximize the life of the system

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
No need. There are chemical treatments that are much cheaper and easier.

Leon82

Reaction score
How would a knight boiler be wired with a taco relay. This is the only diagram I've been able to find.

Is it best to run the primary pump off the boiler board or use the taco primary pump location?

Attachments

• IMG_20160107_093627.jpg
    IMG_20160107_093627.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 341
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks