Fibreglass or Steel tank

Users who are viewing this thread

C@TCH

Reaction score
My water system is getting old and I would like to upgrade everything. What are the pros and cons of both materials, I have fibreglass now.
Would it be very difficult to replace everything myself, I have experience in doing most of my own plumbing.
Is it basically just remove everything and replace or is there some setting up to do. When I disconnect everything will water come out of pressure tank and line coming from well.

Reach4

Reaction score
I am going to presume that you are talking about a diaphragm or bladder pressure tank.

Diaphragm pressure tanks are much more reliable than bladder pressure tanks. Only consider a bladder tank if you have a lot more time than money. The replaceable bladder sounds good, but that is a lot of work. A bladder will not last as long as a diaphragm.

Steel is cheaper and is reliable in most basements. Most respected is Well-X-Trol pressure tanks such as the WX-205.
Fiberglass is reliable if you have a good brand, and it is lighter to handle. It is also rustproof. I would consider the Flexcon Flex-lite such as the FL17

Water will come out of a properly working pressure tank when you turn off the pump and open the drain valve. However if the tank is waterlogged, that may not happen. You may have to do some serious drilling to get the water out to make the tank light enough to move.

Even if everything is right, you will get some water around. If that bothers you, stand by with a wet-dry vacuum cleaner and some towels.

Do replace any galvanized you can with CPVC or brass or stainless. You want a short big pipe between the pressure switch and the tank. Look up "tank tee".

I am not a pro.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
My water system is getting old and I would like to upgrade everything. What are the pros and cons of both materials, I have fibreglass now.
Would it be very difficult to replace everything myself, I have experience in doing most of my own plumbing.
Is it basically just remove everything and replace or is there some setting up to do. When I disconnect everything will water come out of pressure tank and line coming from well.

If you want to upgrade you should consider going to a constant pressure system using a Cycle Stop Valve. Then you would only need a 4.5 gallon size tank. The biggest part of the job will be getting the old tank out, especially if the bladder is broken and the water won't come out, which makes it very heavy. You may even have to drill a hole in the side of the tank to get the water out so you can move it. When you get the old tank out hooking up the CSV system will be easy and will look like this.

002 (2).JPG

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks